PDA

View Full Version : suggestion how to reduce filter flow...

rytis
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 06:09 PM
i have a feeling im not the only one who had a problem reducing the flow in a discus breeding tank, so i decided to share my idea in case someone else has this problem....

i had a very well cycled power filter i put in a smaller breeding tank, but the current was too big... so i put a maxijet (smaller pump) with a hose going into the filter... maxijet being much weaker then the actual filter....

basicaly what im saying is you can use another smaller pump to drive that power filter....just make sure the hose dont jump out of the filter, clamp it with a pot or something....

oscar
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 07:57 PM
"Clamp it with a pot or something" .... I assume you're pulling my leg..

Anyway in all seriousness I think most people use a sponge filter for this reason, and because it's cheap and easy to adjust/move/modify when needed.

In the case of cannister filters, you can put in a simple bleed line from the outlet hose to the inlet hose and have a valve/tap so you can control the amount of water that is recirculated throught the filter, thereby reducing the flow into the tank and hence the current.

chrissyoscar
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 10:39 PM
You can drill extra holes in the spray bar, this will help a lot. You can also place a sponge around the intake. This will reduce the amount of water going into the canister but as the sponge gets dirtier the flow will reduce and perhaps strain the motor.
At the end of the day if the canister is to strong then perhaps it's better to buy a smaller unit.

wickedglass
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 11:09 PM
using a lily spout helps to diffuse the water, also, and there's in-line taps you can buy.
seriously though, it's not such a bad idea what rytis is suggesting, if you hook everything up safely and properly. I've used a 2400 lph powerhead to drive a 700lph canister filter to increase the flow, before, and it worked a treat.
being able to decrease the flow on tapless canisters is a pain in the butt, and extra holes in the spraybar or a lily diffuser may not necessarily suffice to reduce that flow.
another way to reduce it is to get some garden supplies ... a T-bar, a couple of angles and some piping to fit. presto, you have 2 outlets. or you could add a 4 way splitter and have 3 outlets. etc etc.