PDA

View Full Version : My Old Guy Sick?

dntx5b9
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 02:11 AM
I had one discus in my tank for over 1 year in my 55G. I added one more about 3 months ago, and added 2 more about a month ago. The old guy is the biggest and bullied the new guys little, but nothing serious. They all seem to get along well. I only did water changes once a week about 50%, but I recently have been doing two more smaller water chages in between my weekly. Now, I just noticed my old guys eyes not very clear and seem some what swollen. His lips seem little bit swollen as well. What could be wrong with him? He doesn't seem as active as he used to be. If anything, the last couple of weeks, water quality has improved ...

Inspiringfish
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 02:42 AM
I don't know about the diagnosis but I've experienced the glossy, pop eyes and remedied it with Melafix. I like Melafix and Pimafix because they are natural.

Please wait for others to respond.

G-1000
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 05:12 AM
Seperate the fish from the main tank and put him into a hospital tank.

Without a pic it is hard to diagnose - I will however say DO NOT use melafix for this case.

Get 1 tablespoon of rock salt (rock salt is non-iodised) and add to every 10 gallons (40 litres) of tank water. Try to get some metro on standby as you might need it.

After a week - give us all an update and then we can go from there.

Salt should do the trick in the short term.

G

Inspiringfish
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 01:49 PM
G-1000 you said,
"Get 1 tablespoon of rock salt (rock salt is non-iodised) and add to every 10 gallons (40 litres) of tank water. Try to get some metro on standby as you might need it."

1 Tablespoon of rock salt to every 10 gallons,,, How often and for how long?

Thank you.

G-1000
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
With the salt - you just maintain the concentration for a week.

So for example, if you do a water change with 40L of water out of the tank, you need to add another tablespoon of rock salt to maintain the concentration. You know what i mean? You dont keep adding salt, just maintain the concentration after you make the water changes.

G

Inspiringfish
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 02:08 PM
Sorry for my ignorance G-1000;

If I have a 40 gallon (160L) tank; add 4 tablespoons? Then if I do a 40L water change, add 1 tablespoon for the 40L I took out. Do this for a week?

Thanks G

marg
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 02:45 PM
That's right Mark.

Marg.

Inspiringfish
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 02:55 PM
Thank you Marg.
Thanks again G-1000

dntx5b9
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the response. Can I treat the main tank with salt? I have cardinals and few other tetras and clown loaches. Would salt hurt the other fish? Thanks!

marg
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 10:42 PM
Mark,

Loaches, being scaleless don't cope with Salt - it will kill them, otherwise, as long as you don't have Plants in the tank (which also react badly to Salt) it will be O.K..,

Marg.

G-1000
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 12:36 AM
Marg is right on the money there peoples !

G

dntx5b9
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 11:09 PM
OK, I am treating the sick guy with salt and metro. I will keep everybody posted. Third day treating with metro and first day treating with salt. He is isolated with few other fish. Moved everybody in the tank to a new tank.

dntx5b9
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:51 AM
Ok, here are two pics of my sick guy. Eyes are cloudy and swollen. Not sure whether or not it's pop eyes. His mouth area appears somewhat swolled as well. I am currently treating him with Salt and Metro, but he is not getting better. He doesn't seem to get worse either. He's been like this for almost three weeks now. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1002

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1003

dntx5b9
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
I have been treating my sick guy with tetracycline the last 4 days and he is getting rapidly worse. Don't think he can make it. What a shame...

samir
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 12:49 PM
if you have already tried everything, give it a treatment for worms and flukes. if that does not help give it a double dose of antibiotics

dntx5b9
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 02:32 PM
Well, my guy didn't make it. He was sadly put to rest this morning. Don't know why he got sick in the first place, but I had a German Ram that started showing some signs illness two weeks prior to the discus started showing signs of sickness. Everybody else in the tank is fine and healthy. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with losing more fish. Also, upgraded my 55G to 90G and got three more discus two days ago. Everybody doing real well. Wish me luck!