PDA

View Full Version : Sunken Tummy II

Inspiringfish
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 11:34 PM
My fish (2) are swimming funny. One has a swollen tummy (had it before) and the other swims funny. They swim face down (nose pointing downward around 4 o'clock ). They swim in a slow jerky motion.

Last recommendation was salt and brine shrimp. I did this for 2 days, no improvement. Then I tried Epson salt (may have underdosed), no improvement.

Water is fine; ph 7, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrates about 15.

Please help you fine experts.

Inspiringfish
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 03:02 AM
Need some help please.
Thank you.

shayesmommy
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 03:14 AM
i hope you all the best and i feel your pain.
my favorite discus is sick too.

G-1000
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 05:15 AM
Mark

For a fish to be swimming angled downwards - it indicates a swim bladder disorder.

Try to add 1 tablespoon of ROCK salt per 40L (10 gallons) of tank water. This will control any bacteria and will also make the fish poop out a lot.

It has worked for me previously - keep us all updated.

G

Waldo
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 06:04 AM
Hmm.. he's tried epsom salt. How are the scales. do they apear to stick out like a pinecone? And the pectoral fins are they clamped.

Your describing what is called Shimmy. Common to livebearers when they become to gravid and don't release the young. It's also a sign of dropsy.

samir
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 06:18 AM
epsom salts and antibiotic may help. you're in the us so you'll probably be able to get medicated fish food. are they eating ??? it could be constipation or a bacterial infection. maybe you need to lessen and vary the diet, add mor plant based foods.

Inspiringfish
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
Thank you all for responding.

These 2 fish have had these symptoms once before. The Rock salt and brine shrimp feedings helped. But they are back, with the same symptoms.

Those are the only symptoms that I have noticed; Swimming downward in a jerky motion. They both eat very well. Semi clamped fins (only at times), no visable scale issues.

I may have underdosed with the Epson. I do have both Metro and Levamisol in the arsenal.

Sorry Shayesmommy, I hope your favorite pulls through :( .

Thank you!!

sammigold
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 06:06 AM
I have a blue diamond that had a stomach disorder, very swollen and epsom salts and a treatment of tetracycline helped at the time.... However he still has days where he will look great one minute and then all of a sudden (usually not long after having eaten) he will go dark and then pale and his stomach will look abit swollen and then a couple of hours later he will be fine, back to normal swimming and nice red eye, good colour.... I have decided that he must have a digestive issue like people with irritable bowel syndrome... sometimes their good sometimes their bad.... he shows no other symptoms of anything and his other tank mates are fine... he will always be stunted as he was only young when he first got sick and LR and I thought he might not pull through... He is still around 1 year later but I dont think he will ever be a "stunning" specimen of a discus bit at least he is still with us....

Hope yours get better...

Inspiringfish
Mon Jul 03, 2006, 11:45 AM
Thank you Sammi, I think this might be the case. He still has the symptoms. Your desreciption is similiar to my own. Great appetite, looks great at times and others not so great.

I'm going to keep an eye on before and after feedings. Your desription seems top be the case.

The other discus is fine and no reaccuring symptoms.

Thank you for your response.

sammigold
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 10:24 AM
maybe someone else might have had similar issues to us.... if so they will be able to help us.....?????
Its hard to know what to do when they are fine one minute and "silly" the next.... over and over.... there is only so much you can do....

LR did tell me once that brine shrimp can help with disgestive issues, acting sort of like a laxative would with us I suppose...:-)