PDA

View Full Version : dont know whats wrong- pictures attached- really long

shayesmommy
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:29 PM
ok this is the red spotted green that i took lots of pictures of and posted on here. well he showed a white spot so i turned up the heat. and well its been quite few week and hes always hiding and dark. its mostly just his fin only when i go right up to him
well today he came out. thank god. so i got some pictures.
and he will breath normal and then start fast rapid breathing and then normal again.
this is frustrating.
all the other nine discus are fine and in good heath and playful
to tell you the truth i havent seen him eat in weeks. but when he comes out he doesnt look like hes that super thin.
so he must get something to eat. but whenever he comes out hes always hiding again.
this was one of my first discus and the best one i had. so what the hell went wrong and i wont take any chances in losing this guy, he is one of my favorites.
he looks so not good. his poop is whitish but normal.
no visible signs of illness except the dark skin.

anyways. can i stick him in a 5 gallon bucket for a few weeks to faten him up and feed him medicated food?
im willing to take out half of the water a day and refill it with either aged or tank water whichever u feel best.
whatever it takes.
i dont have metro i dont have the L one or the P medications lOl where i live
but i do have some food with it in it. and i was just not ready to use it so maybe i will just on him in a five gallon bucket.

i have more then just discus in this tank and no other fish are ill or died in the tank when the discus were in there. so it cant be caused by another fish. i had the other fish for a week or two before.

water in the tank is good. i will get the exact amounts if its needed.
i got a air pump too and if the water wasnt good all my other fish would be stressing esspecially since they came with him well three others.

ive always been worried about him but not to the point where i should post. i figured it could be bullyness or just him being the only one to show and to have signs of ich and i took the heat treatment at the first sign and never seen one since.
but its not good.
i think i told you everything.
water changes were every two to three days with about 40% aged water with everything in it.
umm i now take out 5g a day to get rid of left over food and such.
i use a small hose and do ever inch of the gravel. so i dont miss anything.

there diet is frozen food every kind except krill and glass worms (heard they were bad) and they dont touch krill.
mostly mysis and brine shrimp bloodworms chiclid delight umm and some others but not so often and beef heart about once a week.
they also get good life spectrum pellets. and the odd one will eat the flake food for the minnows as they dont eat the pellets.
the flake food is wardlys tropical flakes. i use it for my other fish tanks.

ok i think thats it any help will be greatly apprieciated. i really need your help.
thanks jen.
this is my first time and i may be pariniod cause things were going to good and expected more.

marg
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:04 AM
Jen,

It sounds like Hex to me.

Put him in a small Hospital tank and try and get some Metro.

Marg.

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:08 AM
is hex like hole in the head etc.
he has no holes or markings. hes just dark and hes pooh isnt jelly like.
i can put him in a bucket and thats all.
anything else i could use besides metro? we only have macryn and jungle prducts. so any other ingrident or something to could point in in the right direction
next weekend i will have to go to calgary anyways 2 hours away.and i was planning on picking it up then
and money is tight. so i cant make a second trip yet.
oh and i can order it off line but that takes two weeks also.
i thought maybe he was just hiding.
was going to feed him and get him normal.
didnt know i would have to rush.
ugg

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:34 AM
ok nevermind.
im going to get a tank and a pump and whatever meds i can find to fix him.
everything else can wait.
this fish is to important.
ill set up the tank with a used sponge filter from my big tank its been there for almost two weeks and tank water.
that should be good as long as im changing his water everyday right??

marg
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:59 AM
Jen,

That's right. When you are treating him with the metro you are doing water changes all the time so he will be right.

If you have a Clints Store or a disposal store near you you should be able to pick up a small tank cheaply. Failing that, Big W or K Mart.

Metro you will get from the Vets. Another name for it is Flagyl. Just tell the vet what you need it for - most vets will sell it to you no problems.

Good luck.

Marg.

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 04:11 AM
i will call the vet tomorrow.
the move went well to his temporary home.
i left it completely bare except a tree and filter and heater. to get him to give up his fear.
that little bugger was hard to catch but i dont think i stressed him. color is better. and i slowly and gently caught him.
hes lying on his side. i put some discus delight in there to see if he would eat and not yet but hes definatly checking it out.
ill keep you posted thanks for your help

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 04:37 AM
ok i dont know whats going on. Hes normal.
his color is back and its only been 20-30 minutes. hes swimming all around checking us out and his new tank.
i havent seen him like this since i first got him. im so glad. lets hope it stays that way. i will keep you updated.
added is crappy picture. but you can see the color back.
and by the way that picture of him all dark was taken this morning at about 12 and its now 10:30

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 04:43 PM
ok thanks marg.
i called my vet and we figured out doses and stuff. and we had a really good laugh about it. she said that they dont have people phoning about fish very often and when they do they send them away. so it was a great help that you guys had all the information i needed to get this.
i had to fill out a patient form on my fish lol.
well at least now he will be better

samir
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 04:54 PM
are you sure it wasnt getting bullied in the tank ?

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 05:20 PM
never seen it happen at all that was my first thought thats why i didnt say anything.
he isnt eating.
his color is darker today agian. and hes not swimming as much .
so i have no idea.
it frustrating.
could someone tell me if i have to cover the tank with a blanket to keep the natural light out? i can keep the tank light out but theres windows all around it?
when treating with metro.
and on closer examination with a flashlight and him up to the glass, it sure looks like hes got tiny holes by his mouth 4 2 in pairs.