PDA

View Full Version : sexing red Turqs

madaboutfish
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I have 3 red turks which are 4-5". I have managed to identify sexes of most of my fishes using Andrew Soh's method but I can't seem to identify the sexes of 3 of my red turqs. It might be because they are all the same sex. I noticed that of the 3 fishes , 1 always had much stronger blue striations and this same fish also had pelvic fins which were deeply forked as compared to the other 2. As testosterone brings out the blue in fishes. Any chance that this darker blue fish is a male (Assuming that they are from the same spawn)? I am very interested on everyone's opinion on this.

Regards

Nick

Bill T.
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 03:13 AM
It's very difficult to tell the sex of young discus. Once they get a bit older, however, the story changes. The males start to develop an elongated top fin, to the extent that they can have "dreadlocks", or at least the fish equivalent - you can watch this happen before your eyes. They also tend to compete savagely over territory and women - just like some of my mates. With a group of five juveniles, you have good odds of getting at least one pair.
Have patience and all will be revealed!

stonedavid
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:25 AM
Hey Nick,
My Neon Red Turq males eventually got the pointy dorsal fins,as Bill T said above and only when they were in breeding mode did the male get really blue, noticeably difference from the females colouration. I can only say it happened to my fish it may not happen to yours....depends. I was lucky out of 5 fish i managed to get 2 true pairs and both pairs reared babies the first time at breeding. But i assure you this doesnt happen all the time. Best thing to do is let them go it alone and they will work themselves out if you have a true pair.
Hope this helps.
Pete

madaboutfish
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Bill and Pete,

The 3 red turqs are in a tank with 5 other discus of various strains. At the moment it is a battlefied all the fishes are fighting each other. Others bought at the same time as the red turqs have begun to pair up but not sure if there is any activity among the red turqs. I was just curious to know if fishes with more blue were likely to be male due to the higher testosterone levels. I just find it a challenge to identify their sexes thats all. Thanks for the replies.

Nick

G-1000
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:06 AM
Nick - post a clear pic of the fish and I will sex them all for you mate.

G

madaboutfish
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 03:01 PM
Hi G,

Will try to borrow a camera and get pictures over the next few weeks to try and get a clear shot. Thanks

Nick