PDA

View Full Version : lavamisole aftereffects

gops
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hi all,

I treated my discus tank with levamisole and for 2 days the fishes are not their usual self, 2 of them turning totally black and the rest didnt eat much food. but at the moment they seem to be slowly coming back to normal. Is it common that fishes behave this way after a levamisole treatment. I have read in earlier posts that sometimes levamisole might cause some effects on the fish.

Regards,

marg
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:36 PM
gops,

was it the proper levamisole, and not the one intended for birds?

I use Levamisole on my tanks and have never had any nasty side effects.

Marg.

samir
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 02:37 AM
how much did you dose ?? they should be okay just do a couple of water changes. in fact gops if you can do 50% water changes at least 3-4 times a week they will start growing faster. which city are you in ?

gops
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 07:03 AM
Hi Marg,

I used levamisole hydrochloride, 1 ml per 7 litres. There was nothing else in it. I think they are slowly coming back to normal, today morning all fishes ate the brine shrimps i fed them. will keep posted here.

Hi Samir,

I live in Bangalore, I do 20% water change everyday and bit more than 1/2 once a week. All the water is stored for atleast 2 days so that i give it sufficient time for any chlorine to evaporate before using them.

Regards,

sharn
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 12:14 PM
was it 100% levamisole? if so then i think you might have OD'd a bit, i know people say its impossible to OD but im sure the fish would be able to tell. i think the big al's stuff is 7.5% and thats what they base the 1ml per 7L on? im not totally sure

samir
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 12:26 PM
gops the levimasole hydrochloride we use at 1ml per 7 litres is 14g/litre, so you will have to check what the strenght of yours is and dose accordingly. any chance you could put up a picture of your fish, also how many and what size is your tank. i've been to bangalore a few times , last in about 93 or 94.

sharn
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:13 AM
samir- what percentage is that? because i thought big al's was 7.5%? and i have 24% stuff so i use 1ml per 22L or so (i worked it out, not sure if its right cause my memories bad lol)

G-1000
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 05:18 AM
Levamisole hydrochloride has the potential to disrupt the mucous lining of the intestine of the fish. This results in viscous, yellow poo after use. This doesnt happen in all cases however.

It will cause irritability to intestines in all cases and some fish may react by temporarily going off their food or perhaps by hiding etc.

G

samir
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 06:12 AM
G a bit off topic but love the albino in your avtar. have you bred it ???

G-1000
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 01:24 PM
Samir,

She is laying eggs atm (just started) - am attempting to cross with spotted ss.

G

fishgeek
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 01:05 PM
sounds to me like overdosage
levamisol is acts as a muscular paralysisng agent by inhibiting carbohydrate metabolism
it is also a immunostimulant and is now widely being used as an adjunctive in treatment of cancers

toxic affects will certainly include nausea and inappetance, i am unaware of any potential for gut sloughing

increased water changes will increase clearance of the product from the water clumn and subsequently aid the fish's clearance of the drug

andrew