PDA

View Full Version : How much does your temperature fluctuate ?

weird
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 11:51 AM
I have an external heater (Hydor) for a 4x2x2.

I have had bad experience with ottos and BNs in my Discus tank ... but desparately need to offload some bristlenose into a new home , and they will be welcomed due to direct sunlight in the morning on the tank (algae !) ... so win-win.

I have been trying to lower the temp from 30 degrees to 29 degrees, so the BN will be happy, thinking this may be part of the problem I have had before.

I have 2 electronic thermometers at either end of the tank to monitor the temp, and boy, I have started to notice how much they change during the day !. Easily flucuate within the extremes of 1 degree, sometimes within a sort period of time.

Is this amount of flucuation normal ? I am beginning to think my house is weird. Also any one had BN at higher temps than 29 for an extended period ?

Phlipper
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:40 PM
I think more than likely the problem is your electronic thermometers, you shoild have no real temperature fluctuations in the tank, unless it is a very small tank that may be prone to draughts...............but I figure it's not a small one at all, so with a reasonable water volume temp. fluctuations cannot not happen quickly, only over a long period of time. My advice is.............dont worry about it........or get rid of the electronic thermometers and get the cheaper tried and proven types.

dcarmau
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:42 PM
I've had that sort of fluctuation too... my area's power supply isn't exactly the most reliable though.

Robdog
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 04:29 PM
I've had BN's as high as 32 in my 4ft only briefly during summer but my tank would rarely go under 30 in summer as our air con does sweet FA.

Dylz, don't quit your day job and go into real estate. The picture you paint of where you live in Tassie sounds pretty bleak. :shock:

dcarmau
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:51 PM
what day job? I'm a uni student! :D

our place is about 45 min drive from the nearest -real- Population Centre, on a good day, if you know the road... This is how I know about the Tassie Attitude re: distance.

on the other hand, we live about a 1km walk from the beach. Sea views, the works.

We're on a 2 1/2 acre block. It's a beautiful place, but I'm a people person, and the rest of the area basically isn't. (or claim not to be, anyway :D)

Our big down: Tank Water... never enough.

DiscusMad
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 05:12 PM
I have the same heater and have no problems at all

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 07:17 PM
Hi dcar,

I had BN in Discus tanks years ago when I first started keeping Discus and they were fine in 29c for a few months. After that they started to die one by one, no symptoms, no apparent health problems so I put it down to being in water that was too warm. From the very limited knowledge I have of catfish I think most of them are far more comfortable in temperatures between 22c and 26c.
MAC