PDA

View Full Version : Pacing the tank

dcarmau
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hi guys, My discus is pacing the tank at the moment, which is extremely odd, he was a very complacent fish before.

recent history of the tank:

swap from 3' to 6' last Saturday (17/6), when I moved him, I tested the waters of the tanks for pH and temp (test tube for nitrates etc were broken, *mutters PETS plastic Tubes mutter mutter* When my new Nitrate Test kit arrived, my nitrates were at some disgustingly untestable level.

At this point I need to really apologise to you all about my water quality, I'm on Tank Water, and the last 12 months have seen us just scrape through water-wise (including showering at friends places and washing at friends places etc).

When I found this out I was much distressed and determined to do a change the next day (as I fig'd 1:00am wasn't the best time for me to be changing water) 30% so's not to shock the fish. This, unfortunately came just too late for my Red Cover, who expired overnight. This change didn't put the nitrate reading back within the test, so a 50% change later and I'm back to 40mg/L. Still not fab, but significantly better than a highest reading on the kit of 160 mg/L.

I've got a plan so this doesn't -ever- happen again... (Water Drums and car trips to friends' place in town are involved.) but right this minute don't have the resources for another serious change.

3 hrs after the 50% water change: (My tank water doesn't shift in pH, that's it's one big befenit) I noticed that Disco Stu (as my partner named "him") was really active, effectively pacing the length of the tank. This was fine,but tonight he's barred up as in the picture. I'm kinda wondering if he's stressing about being in clean water after being in filth for so long (sorry sorry sorry).

He seems to be pointing slightly downwards all the time except while swimming.
He's all over the tank vertically, although his pacing usually takes place at the back.

He -is- still eating, I just wanna stop whatever problems he has as soon as I can. Despite my track record.
He's swimming strong and swift, dispersing the Rasboras occasionally, the big concern is that he's also swimming -constantly- and has barred up.

My tank's readings are as follows:
pH 6.8-7.0
kH 1dH
Ammonia: .25mg/L (I overfed slightly yesterday)
Nitrite: .25mg/L
Nitrate: 40mg/L

I have introduced some Harlequin Rasboras today (from Quarantine), which have been very active and might be stressing him out.

his tankmates at the moment are (He's the only Discus atm)

6 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Kribensis Cichlids
3 Black Neons (we had some losses on this front after the move too)

I'm really sorry to be bringing such a sad state of affairs for help, I feel really ashamed of the whole situation,:oops: but I figure the only thing I can do now is ask for help. There's a water change coming soon, I just have to get the water from town first.

Please help me rescue my fish

P.S. I'm aware he's stunted, I wasn't aware about the feeding regime when I got my Discus... the poor things :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

samir
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 04:12 PM
your ammonia and nitrite should be zero, not even a .1 . how did you get a .25 reading ? what do you test with ?

Bill T.
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 11:25 PM
You might try a product called "toxivec" as an in terim measure until you get your water conditions under control.

dcarmau
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 11:40 PM
my test kit for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, is the "Master Test Kit" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.
my kH kit is by Nutrafin. and 0.25 is the first increment on the Ammonia and Nitrite test kits.

samir
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:08 AM
oh okay. you should't get a reading for nh3 or nitrite. whats the story with your filter ? it might be wise for you to invest in a denitrator, or make one(must be very accurate with flow rate) if you have problems with getting water.

dcarmau
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:14 AM
AquaNova 1200L/h Canister Filter with:
Sponge
Ceramic Media
Carbon

oh, on a 300L (6'x18"x18") tank

There's an airstone and plants in the tank too.

Bill T.
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:33 AM
What is a denitrator? How does it work, how much would one cost?

dcarmau
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:43 AM
Samir... make a denitrator? I'm -very- interested in that!

Thanks!
Dylan