PDA

View Full Version : household pH down

dcarmau
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 03:00 PM
does anyone know of a pH down type thing that you can get at your local supermarket? just thinking if there are other pH downers besides pH down then maybe we don't need to pay exorbitant quantities of money for buffers etc. (uni student speaking, :lol:)

Cheers!
Dylan

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 08:52 PM
Hi,

This was discussed very recently in another thread. Hydrochloric acid is a very cheap way but you need to be careful and never put it straight in to a tank of fish. Take a look at the other thread.
MAC

Bill T.
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 09:59 AM
Heaps more fish. That should do the trick.

dcarmau
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:28 AM
*laughs* sounds like fun, but probably not the right thing for a well-established Angel Tank with Pleco, Congo Tetras, BN, and more. (a friend's tank, also a student)

Bill T.
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 11:42 PM
Wood! Stick some wood in there.

Phlipper
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:53 PM
It seems PH lowering chemicals can come in a variety of types....Hydrochloric acid for one, cheap to buy from the hardware store. The latest PH down material now sold in fish stores is a liquid PH down and gives almost instant PH alterations.............and when you look at the ingredients on the bottles it says " Sulphuric Acid "..........there was even someone enquiring about common Citric Acid, haven't tried that yet, when I get around to it I'll experiment with a squeeze of Lemon :lol: ....Lemon and Fish mmmmmmmmm!!! :lol:

marg
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
Phil ,

I hope you didn't mean Discus Fish and Lemon !!

One of my cats was injured a couple of days ago (we think that a nasty neighbour kicked him - poor little feller - nothing seems to be broken but he is very very sick and is just creeping around at the moment, definitely not himself) and a friend came to my house who does not understand my fixation with Discus.

We were discussing the fact that he is pretty ill and is just pecking at his food (probably a self defence mechanism - he knows if he eats he will have to use the cat loo and the act of doing that would probable be very uncomfortable for him seeing as he is so stiff).

This friend (???) was really sympathetic to Smoky's injuries and looked around the room at my Tanks then said "I know what will make him feel better - one of those big fat Discus".

Grrrrrrrrrrrr :!: .,

Marg.

Phlipper
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 11:52 AM
Hope your cat improves quickly........give it plenty of rubs and pats, a massage may work wonders on it's stiffness. It'll be up and about in no time.......................admiring your fish with a wistful look on it's face :lol:

Waldo
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:31 PM
Just a side note. A fixed chemistry outside of your fishes wild parameters is going to be a lot better then an unstable chemicaly induced pH drop. Fish do much better in a steep water chemistry incline then they do in a decline. Ie. Temp, pH, kh go up... it's ok but if you take those same numbers and invert them so that they are going down the fish will have a harder time adjusting.