PDA

View Full Version : Otto Canister Filter

Dearra
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
Today I purchased a PF 300G Otto Canister Filter. It does 1200 e/hour (not sure what that means). Will it be enough for my 4ft tank, or should I still keep running my Penguin Bio Wheel as well. Has anybody used one before, and if so, what are your thoughts on it. Have I wasted my money. I don't have it going at the moment as the instructions are not very user friendly and I have bits and pieces and hoses everywhere on the floor trying to put it all together. I have never had a cannister before, so it all seems very complicated to me. Can I please have some advice.

Thankyou
Dearra

DR.V
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:55 PM
Maybe you mean 1200L/hour ? That means it pumps the water at a rate of 1200 litre per hour.

Is your tank 4x18x18 or 4x2x2 ?

Dearra
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:04 PM
My tank size is 4x14x18

Phlipper
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 01:19 AM
The filter you have is just right for the tank you have, and Otto's are a good brand, no need for anything else 8-)

DR.V
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:01 AM
Are you still having problem putting it together ?

Yes, I think that filtration is enough.

HTH

Dearra
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 01:19 PM
Good news!!! Finally got it all put together today and it is up an running. It is extremely quiet compared to the penguin bio wheel I have been using. I don't have to listen to the waterfall anymore.

Just wondering though, what would be the best way to position the spray bar. I have it on the back wall facing the front at the moment. I don't think my Discus like it very much. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dearra

Phlipper
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure what is the best way, a lot of people have their spray bars set like yours, but I have mine at one end of my tank so the water flow is towards the intake pipe on the opposite end........works for me :?

kalebjarrod
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 08:15 PM
if the discus don't like the flow of the spraybar simpley face the "jet" side of the spray bar toward the glass

put the intake at the other end of the tank and your rockin!

lesley
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hi Dearra,

I have two OTTO's on my 6x2x2.

They are great filters, the best cannisters I have used. Initially the tank was heavily planted and they did a fantastic job. I actually don't use the spray bars, could never get then directing the water where I wanted it to go, have just experimented with directing the flow straight out. I have now switched to a semi BB with lots of driftwood and plants on the driftwood, and the flow has been a little strong without the spray bars. You can put heavier duty sponges on the intake and that will restrict the flow as well. I have plecos, bristlenoses as well and they love a strong flow, so I now have it arranged so that there are areas with a strong flow and quiet spots, using the driftwood. The discus love it and spend a fair amount of time in the stronger flow areas. The quiet areas are where they go to rest and sleep at night.

They are currently out in a strong flow full light area in full hunting mode stalking and chasing down brine shrimp. They appear to be the happiest discus I have owned.

HTH

Dearra
Sun Jul 02, 2006, 12:45 PM
Just thought I would let everyone know that I have not wasted my money. I am extremley impressed with my Otto. It keeps my tank very clean with no little floaties anywhere to be seen. Also, I have positioned the spray bar upwards and my Discus look so much happier than they have looked since I got them 6 months ago. I would recommend them to anyone.

Dearra