PDA

View Full Version : Hex...........common or not ?

Phlipper
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:52 AM
The more I read through this forum, the more I worry or even regret ever getting any Discus. How common is Hex, it seems an awful lot of Discus get it, and needing Vet prescriptions to do anything about it :(

There seems to be a lot of contradictions, some folk saying Discus are easy to keep, no real problems...but there sure are a lot of postings regarding Hex and other nasties..............what am I to believe :?:

marg
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:06 AM
I will never ever regret keeping Discus - they are the best Fish in the world in my opinion!!

There is a lot of controversy over the keeping of them (one LFS here won't even try!!), but IMO they are not hard to keep. I've kept them for about 3 years now and have not lost many. One I know definitely had Hex and I believe that in that case it was brought on by stress as he was being really harassed by the other Fish in the tank.

I think the main thing is to keep your water conditions right, plenty of water changes and good food. Anything nice having is worth a bit more effort.

I am always doing water changes - my Family walk in and roll their eyes - but I can honestly say I enjoy doing their water changes - I know they are happiest in nice clean water and the rewards when they rush to the front of the tanks when I enter the room are well and truly worth it. I can't think of any other Fish that rushes up to you like that (apart from Oscars - but they haven't got the character that the Discus have nor the beautiful colouring IMO).

If you lived in a really dirty house and ate junk food all the time and lived a really stressful life you'd be bound to come down with something - that's how I liken Hex. Sometimes people buy in Fish (and we don't know what their previous living conditions have been), don't quarantine them properly and next thing they have Hex.

Fish purchased from reputable Breeders and Fish Shops (e.g. Crocky, Ben, SLS) don't present these problems.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Marg.

Bill T.
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 04:55 AM
Couldn't imagine life without Discus - what sort of people don't keep Discus fish anyway? I do know a few people who don't even have an aquarium, but they are really miserable souls. They could at least try some angels, but no, they won't listen to reason!

I have gone through trauma in the past when I felt like giving it all away, but with some perseverance, support from Discus Forum, learning on the job and good luck, things have settled down.

What I love to see is when my friends visit, inevitably they get stuck in front of my aquarium - and then they start talking to my fish (probably think the fish can't hear, but I suspect they take in a lot more than we realise!).

Zen, and the Art of Discus Fish Keeping. Could be a good name for my first best selling book?

marg
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 05:14 AM
It's funny isn't it Bill - they all come into the house, see the tanks and go "Omigod, they must cost you a fortune - I can think of better things to spend money on" - then you have to prise them away from the tanks.

Really gives me the giggles.

Marg.

Bill T.
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 07:03 AM
Don't even bother to count the dollars! I could surely answer, yes, they have cost me a fortune (or rather the ones that taught me how to keep discus fish did...if you get my drift).

By the way, is it true, you should never call Wagga Wagga Wagga?

marg
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 07:21 AM
That's what they say.

They say that Wagga Wagga means "place of many Crows" - we have a Crow on our Coat of Arms (flapping bird type that is :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

The saying must be true because I remember when I was a kid there were Crows everywhere. Not as many now, but then again, Wagga Wagga is no longer a small country town - it is said to be the biggest Inland City in NSW.

I was born here and have lived here all my life and love the place - just wish the Climate was a bit more Coffs Harbourish if you know what I mean :D .

GLad you like the Eggs Goldenpigeon - just hoping they don't fungus or anything - still I'm getting closer I think!!

Marg.

G-1000
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
All discus have a certain amount of hex-causing bacteria on them. This is not usually a problem - since if the fish is healthy, the immune system keeps them in check. However, in the event that the tank water is neglected, the fish will be stressed and the hex organism will proliferate. So basically, if you want to keep discus, you should be thinking of maintaining your water in top condition, the fish will follow.

Discus are easily the best fish I have kept

G

Phlipper
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
Ok thanx for that.......I think ??? :? .........so they should all be Ok if you put the time and effort into them, how does one get on when taking a couple of weeks away, or is that certain death ? :?

sammigold
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:16 PM
One of the guys went away for 5 weeks and came back and his discus were all still alive... so it can be done with good preparation...

k9outfit
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
I think any group of fish comes with it's own little problem areas. With Discus, it seems Hex. & worms are an issue, with African Cichlids (which I'm familiar with), the big one is Malawi Bloat. Every time you go on the forums, seems someone has sick and dying fish. Realistically though, proper diet, clean conditions, and I guess just sheer interest in your fish (whereby you'll notice the slight change in behaviour), you really shouldn't have any problem keeping them disease free, healthy & thriving.

Phlipper
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:17 PM
That's a bit more reassuring, and it's true all fish have their own degree of susceptability to various ailments, but Discus do seem to be more prone to problems...........but I guess it simply comes down to more care needed compared to other fish.

So can someone explain why Discus and worms always seem to be an issue, what is it in a Discus lifestyle that seems to attract worms, most other fish dont seem to have as many worm issues ?......just curious :?:

marg
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 12:54 AM
Hi Philliper,

I'm not real Computer savvy so bear with me, but here is a quote I copied from another Post titeld "Worms in Discus" - the Author was G1000 :

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can give you a 100% accurate answer here.

Discus are fed a meat based diet in asia (i.e beefheart) which a number of hobbiests end up emulating. Inside of meat are scattered very small eggs with an indigestible shell around them. So when contaminated food is eaten (i.e almost any beefheart mix), the eggs remain in very minute numbers and an even smaller number of these eggs end up hatching worms.

Worming is performed to either solve a bad case of worms, or to address this problem before it gets severe.

Personally, I worm every 3 months for my fish.

G1000

Hope this helps.,

Marg.

Phlipper
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 01:16 AM
Thanx Marg 8-) that makes sense..............I may never light the BBQ ever again :shock: .....better go get some Combantrin :lol:

elvip
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 01:34 AM
Hi Phlipper,
I am a newbie to discus - and just can't get enough off them!
However,I have also had trouble with keeping them - lost half of my stock in one week about 3 months ago - still don't know what is was that did it - maybe I never will - I thought discus plague at one stage, but not sure :?:
Nonetheless, I have persevered, and now have about 40 discus. I agree with Marg, I love it when they come up to the tank when you walk in the room. I also love to watch them feed - each and everyone has it's own personality. They are beautiful fish with beautiful tempraments and personality!
I must admit though, they are a little more work - I do twice weekly cleans and water changes - but I think they are well worth it!
Hope this gives you some encouragment to persevere with your discus - as they are truly the King of fish.
Cheers
Elvip :D