PDA

View Full Version : Help With Discus ID

oscar
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 03:13 AM
Hi,

Bay Fish (i know...i know...) are currently advertising the following two discus strains. I 'm hoping someone can either show me a pic of what they might look like, or describe them.

Mamori River Wild Caught

Wild Brown Santarem

Because they both specify locations, i expect that there is no real description anyone can give me but i thought i'd try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oscar.

Joe
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 03:31 AM
the wild santarem would be very similar to my avatar!!!
Joe

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 06:46 AM
That would be quite unusual Oscar for a large main stream wholesaler to have wild caught Discus in Australia. At the prices they are I would want some pretty solid evidence of their origin. Sorry to poke my nose in, just a passing thought.
MAC

Dave76
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 07:12 AM
I looked at getting some wilds from Bay ages ago via my LFS - they asked Bay for some photos of the actual fish which were provided - might be worth a try.

HTH

Dave

oscar
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:57 PM
Mistakes - I am under no illusion in that regard. I wouldn't actually think they are "wild". But i like browns and their derivatives.

Dave - I did ask therm at the same time i posted the thread but they were not forthcomming.

Squid
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 06:36 AM
Those Marmori from Bays were good quality when I bought them. They've been on the pricelist now for about 8 months, so the 'dregs' may be all thats left. Bayfish are usually very good with sending photos, but usually only to LFS. When I was over in Pakistan last year, I rang the LFS who deals throught Bays in Townsville and go him to ask them to put a photo of the wild stuff on their website. They did -I saw then bought! They made a cool $grand - so its worth their while. The Marmoris have an all over brown/tan with very small blue lines on the head. Very intense body colour. Their royal Blues were superb

Squid

Squid
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 06:38 AM
I should have read the next reply!! YES - just like Joes avatar. The Santarems are a more red in colour. I have to take a photo of mine for you.

Squid

Squid
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 06:55 AM
OK - I did have a few in the archives, so here they are. Once again, sorry for the abismal photography

G-1000
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:09 AM
I hate you Squid!

Why arent my fish that nice (and wild too) ???

hahah

G