PDA

View Full Version : can Discus plague be transmitted via plants?

helen
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
today I purchased a beautiful large sword plant from a LFS and almost purchased a healthy looking Discus when I noticed a very ill looking discus with the plague floating around in the same tank.
this fish was very diseased but the shop owner said that it was only "stressed".......unfortunatlley i am familiar with this illness as i have experienced it first hand with some of my own discus over the years.
I am hoping that someone can give me some advise on infection control regarding the plant that was purchased there, i am a little worried about placing it in my planted tank with healthy discus.
the diseased fish looked "end-stage" cloudy eyes, clamped fins, floating on its side with a white slime covering its entire body, yet the other discus in the tank looked ok?
i am happy to throw the plant out as it was only $15 but i am curios to know what you think

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 02:04 PM
Helen, it's transmitted by water droplets. Some ever recommend keeping the plague tank covered to prevent the very fine spray from things like airstones floating in the air, and entering another tank.

My personal opinion, is ditch the plant. It's not worth the trouble.

If you really like the plant, you could try soaking it in a weak bleach solution for an hour before rinsing it well and putting in a quarantine tank. It's pretty harsh on plants, but better to be safe.

Just realised this was your first post, so a very warm welcome to the forum :P

Hope you enjoy your time with us.

samir
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 02:08 PM
i'd put the plant in the green bin outside.

marg
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 02:18 PM
Hi Helen and welcome to our Community. I'm wiht Ladyred and Samir - ditch the plant.

Marg.

Waldo
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 07:29 PM
Saving the $3 from the plant but risking $100 in discus is... how do I say this. 1 step forward 33.3~ steps back. Welcom the board!

helen
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 07:40 AM
I have "the plant" in a tank on its own at the moment but i think it will be going out to the bin....
thanks for all the advice!