PDA

View Full Version : What kind of discus is this?

Idisscusdiscus
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:58 PM
I recently bought this discus from a tank labled assorted discus. He has been thriving in my tank, yet I am dying to know what kind of discus he is. All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE A FULL SIZE IMAGE.
http://thumb12.webshots.com/t/48/48/7/11/9/2400711090092922212LDLWyW_th.jpg (http://community.webshots.com/photo/2400711090092922212LDLWyW)

marg
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:15 AM
Looks like it has some Pigeonblood in it to me, going by the peppering.

Marg.

nicholas76
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 01:05 AM
Yep

common variety pigeon blood.

good luck with it :D

Idisscusdiscus
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 03:00 AM
Cool I thought it might have been a marlboro, but when I saw the peppering I thought, no it couldn't be a marlboro, so i was left stumped from there. Thanks for the help.
Also, What do you mean by common variety pigeon blood? Is that the exact common name?, or what? It would be nice if someone could tell me the exact name for it.
Thanks!

Idisscusdiscus
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 03:04 AM
I also noticed it has some light blue coloring in its fins. If you look close enought into the picture you can see the light blue coloring on its bottom fin.

mcloughlin2
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 04:53 AM
Malboro reds do have peppering on them depending on quality..

A Common pigeon blood is the pigeon blood most often seen at a LFS...its a mixture of different varieties so it does not have a common name. So there is not an exact name for it unless you found out what varieties the parents were...

The light blue colouring on the fins is a common trait in pigeons... :D

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 08:38 AM
Cool I thought it might have been a marlboro, but when I saw the peppering I thought, no it couldn't be a marlboro, so i was left stumped from there. Thanks for the help.
Also, What do you mean by common variety pigeon blood? Is that the exact common name?, or what? It would be nice if someone could tell me the exact name for it.
Thanks!

Your little guy is a pigeon blood variant with a very fascinating history. The pigeon blood was not known till 1990 when one showed up as a sport in a breeder's tank in Thailand. This unusual fish turned out to be a male and was owned for some time by his breeder, hoping to find a female to breed with him. After a few years he was sold to another breeder who had managed to purchase a pigeon blood female, and so finally the male had a mate.

From this pair came all of today's pigeon blood varieties. This was the basis for the true red varieties, such as the marlboro red. Prior to that, all the reds were red/brown in colour. Now breeders could bring out true red and orange colours in their fish. To begin with, they all had peppering on the face, and sometimes into the body as well. Customers showed a preference for 'clean' pigeon bloods, so the breeders worked on reducing the amount of black peppering till now, some of the reds show no peppering at all (although when bred, some of the fry will still show peppering).

Your little discus could easily be called a marlboro red. He has all the right characteristics, including the black bar on the tail.

Remember, he is not just a pigeon. He has a pedigree to be proud of. :P

Idisscusdiscus
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

ashley
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

He is very similar to mine dont you think?
He may have more vivid colour than mine.

Ashley

nicholas76
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 09:20 PM
Hi Ashley,

yep another nice pigeon. Yours appears to have less peppering ,,,grow it big and post a pic or two.

:D

Lee C
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks!

Your little guy is a pigeon blood variant with a very fascinating history. The pigeon blood was not known till 1990 when one showed up as a sport in a breeder's tank in Thailand. This unusual fish turned out to be a male and was owned for some time by his breeder, hoping to find a female to breed with him. After a few years he was sold to another breeder who had managed to purchase a pigeon blood female, and so finally the male had a mate.

From this pair came all of today's pigeon blood varieties. This was the basis for the true red varieties, such as the marlboro red. Prior to that, all the reds were red/brown in colour. Now breeders could bring out true red and orange colours in their fish. To begin with, they all had peppering on the face, and sometimes into the body as well. Customers showed a preference for 'clean' pigeon bloods, so the breeders worked on reducing the amount of black peppering till now, some of the reds show no peppering at all (although when bred, some of the fry will still show peppering).

Your little discus could easily be called a marlboro red. He has all the right characteristics, including the black bar on the tail.

Remember, he is not just a pigeon. He has a pedigree to be proud of. :P

I haven't heard about the female pigeon. The way I understand, Kitti Phanaitthi found the fish at a petstore and saw the yellow base under all the black pepper. Crossed with quite a few of the strains he stocked and that was the origin of the strain....one discus...mutation. There was only the one discus, not 2.
The name "Marlboro Red" comes from the fact that Kitti smoked about 3 to 4 packs of Marlboro Red per day.
His cleanest were the "Red Doll" strain of pigeon which had the yellow face and Red body with black trim.
Every other strain of pigeon you see today is out of Kitti's stock.

Lee C
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:58 PM
entered 2x by mistake