Hi,

My favourite discus died :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/CoryFan/DSCN2302.jpg

It is the one I like best.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/CoryFan/Discus.jpg

had it since March 2005. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

sammigold
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 06:35 AM
I am so very sorry that you lost your discus.... :cry: Do you know what went wrong? Again, I am very sorry... it is extremely hard to lose a fish especially your favourite...

marg
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 06:38 AM
So sorry to read that you lost your favourite.

Have you any idea as to what caused his death?

Marg.

kswong34
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 08:30 AM
:evil: I found a corydoras died. It is a corydoras similis and I only have one only :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

We have a white spot breakout few days back. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Phlipper
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:03 AM
What a pity, it was a stunning fish.......I hate whitespot grrrrr!!!

Bill T.
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 10:50 AM
White spot shouldn't kill your fish if it's treated. So the question is, why are youre fish dyeing? What are the water parameters. What have you been using to combat the white spot? Anything else unusual been going on or in your tank? Any other fish looking sick?

Are you up to date with water changes?

I would suspect an ammonium spike post medication, a pH drop, or an undisclosed "bug" in the water.

RichVic
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss - can't offer more than my sympathy - Hope you work out what the cause was.

nicholas76
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
white spot should not survive discus temperatures at all.

do tell us further if thats ok please

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 05:37 PM
So sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately some of the strains of white spot we are seeing today are able to survive in temperatures up to 33 degrees.

It may be worthwhile to do some tests on your water, and see what results you get.

nicholas76
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:18 PM
Treatment

It is only the free-swimming stage of the parasite that is susceptible to treatment; neither the trophonts under the epithelium or the tomont cysts can be killed. So any treatment plan has to be carried out over a period of time in order to kill the emerging parasites. This in turn depends on temperature. At 7oC the life cycle will take six weeks, whereas at 25oC it will be complete in a week.

An alternative treatment is prolonged salt immersion at 1-2 ppt (parts per thousand), i.e. 1-2 grams per litre

Water should be monitored during the treatment course in case there is any loss of filter activity.

It is also believed that fish that survive an attack of Ich have an increased immunity against future attacks

FYI - more info at http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/whitespot.htm for future reference.

kswong34
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 05:25 AM
:cry: Found another dead body of a corydoras metae and panda when I do my water change today. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I believed the white spot must had get into the gills to kill them. I also think the main reason is being I had swapped few new discus from a breeder the day before the white spot breakout. and yes, is my false, I didn't quarantine them :cry: :cry:. Had chat to her and found out that 5 of her discus in that tank had died too including those I swapped to her :cry: and she actually brought some of those Discus to her friend house hours before we arrived. expensice lesson to learn.

will not to getting any new discus for a while now :evil: :evil:

All other fish are doing well now. :D

Thanks.

nicholas76
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 09:25 AM
Id probably treat regardless. its the end process you see , not the begining remember that :)

Darth_discus
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 10:04 AM
So sorry your best fish had to die. How old do you think it was?

All the best to your discus in fishie heaven.

goldenpigeon
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 10:28 AM
oh no! mate are the rest ok? is this in the 6ft tank?

kswong34
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 10:50 AM
yup, is the 6ft :cry: :cry:

found a dead body of a small BD about 2 hours ago. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Did a water change and put in some medication already.

The discus show in the picture above is a red turq x red melon from Rod Lewis. Had have it since March 2005. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not sure if Rod still have any of them??

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

goldenpigeon
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 11:56 AM
small BD as in the one i gave you? i loved that fish :cry: nature takes its course i guess. if it was i dont blame you thoagh 8-)

Bill T.
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 11:27 PM
Would Ich kill fish in such quantities? Would you expect Ich to develop so quickly - the day after adding new fish? Is Ich the right diagnosis in this case?

bushie
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:05 AM
I doubt very much that it is ich.
I would be having a good look at all water quality levels.
then start elimanating possible causes one by one from there.
too many fish, too quickly without showing some sort of visible signs of the desease, sounds more like a water quality issue and maybe some sort of problem being hightened by it, ie. internal parasites ect.
would not just assume ich.

good luck with the rest of em