PDA

View Full Version : columnaris ? help

samir
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 01:58 AM
the female in my new pair has developed a yellowish growth on the mouth, also a couple of opaque patches on the pectoral fins, the good news is they got about 20-30 wrigglers on the second attempt, i have removed the female,sacrificed the wrigglers. and put it in a dark place with tetracycline and salt, planning to dose for 10 days. however lately tetracycline does not seem to work with most ailments. is there any other antibiotic out there ? is there anything else i can do ? how long should i dose ? help !!!!

sammigold
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 04:35 AM
Are you sure it is columnaris and not velvet... from the yellowy description I sort of think of velvet..
anyway here are a couple of links that I found on both Velvet and Columnaris.... HTH

//http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm

//http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

samir
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 05:28 AM
thanks sammi, i'm about 99% sure its columnaris, i had moved them coz the're beating up all the other fish, i bought something called myxan today i'll try that as well and i'll make a slide tomorrow and check it under the microscope. anyone know of an antibiotic that works ?

sammigold
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 06:40 AM
I actually used a product called pimafix which worked on my guppys and columbian tetras and blackwidow and cardinal tetras.... I had a bout in two different tanks... the guppys probably had it when I bought them and transferred it to my columbians which I saved with the pimafix... the black widows and cardinals got it probably because I used them to help cycle my tank before I bought my discus so the water conditions were probably bad... but the pimafix worked for them too...

I think you may ask the LFS about Triple sulfa tabs as a possible med... but they will destroy bio filter so best used in hospital tank... HTH

samir
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 06:48 AM
thanks sammi. i'll finish the tetracycline treatment and get some more trisulfa , i was thinking of combining the trisulfa with the tetracycline.