PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed live worms ??

OscarManAlpha
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:27 PM
Just thought a poll on live worms would be of interest.

Cheers,

Mark

k9outfit
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:59 PM
Are you refering to any type of worm in general? I have a live white worm culture that I feed strictly on home made bread, and some microworms, home grown & fed. Other than that, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it, not even earthworms out of our garden.

Ben
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:49 PM
I don’t feed any live worms to my discus, but every other fish gets them a few times a week! I buy black worms in 1/2 kilo lots which lasts me around 3 weeks.

I have fed small earthworms to discus but they did not take to them very much.

Whilst feeding live black worms they would not eat any other food!

Live black worms containing diseases? I am yet to be convinced....

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:38 AM
i said no. i would but only if i grew them myself... which i dont at the moment. at the moment i dont trust the live black worms from the stores so i just dont bother. if icould start my own culture that would be good but i would need to get an excellent source of black worms first. i am in the process of setting up a live brine shrimp culture for my discus.

appart from not trusting the live worms (from stores) they are SO EXPENSIVE!!! i can afford to feed all my discus live black worms etc, the mone is better spent making good beef heart mix or getting more equipment for the future BS culture.

just my oppinion.

Crocky
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 09:37 AM
Hey golden pigeon

Nearly all if not all blackworm sold in australia are breed in Beechworth 20 min drive from my place and I can buy them for a nice price.But I haven't used any for 2 years as I was finding after a few days the worms would go slimey and lose conditions and I think this is where the problem lies.Put a living thing under stress (fish/animal ect) its only a matter of time before outside problem take hold.
The last time I used bw,I also got some food to feed them which made all the differents I still had some left after 3 months which I keeped in a foam box with a air stone changing water every second day.
The fellow who owns the bw farms is in the middle of making up these containers which will keep up to a 1kg of bw for up to a month in the fridge.
If anyone is intersted in how it work I will see if I can go up and take some photo's of the farm and containers

Brad

TomNS
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks Brad that would be great

Tom

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks Brad. Would love to see how he keeps them.

I won't feed live blackworms to any of my discus, but I have other fish that would love them.