PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love moving when you have fish tanks...

Proteus
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:02 AM
As some would know I am in the middle of a move which involves setting up lots of new tanks, as well as relocating half a dozen large tank as well.

Steps were put in place several weeks ago to have some custom built furniture constructed and stained to my specification and some new tanks built.

The smallest of these tanks is 750L, and one of the bigger ones has a total capacity of almost 1200L.

Here are a few shots of the cabinet, the 3ft sump (still to be configured) and the 36w UV which has been attached to the underside of one of the support beams.

This tank will also feature a built in air control module which is built into the base of the tank.

Proteus
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
with the tank in place (this thing weighs a tonne)

(the tank needs a clean up, as bits of foam and water droplets are scattered all over the place)

Proteus
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:11 AM
You might notice some bags at the right side of image DSCN0015 (Medium).JPG... that is 160kg of pool filter sand for this tank and one of the 900L tanks.

goldenpigeon
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:26 AM
nice job! what size is the tank?

DR.V
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:23 AM
Pro,

Does Matrix style sump is more effecient than normal sump ? What is the good from this type of sump ? I see that it uses much less bio balls than normal sump which means less surface area for bacteria.

Also, I noticed that you have the return hole on the base of the tank instead on the back of the tank ( pic DSCN0015 (Medium).JPG ). Are you going to extend using PVC pipe to the height of slightly lower than the water level? Otherwise, when you turn off the pump, the sump will be floaded and eventually emptied your tank ?

Thanks

DR.V
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:27 AM
What I mean by normal sump is this :
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6194&highlight=sump

Posted by Proteus, the image called 95g #2.jpg.

Thanks

OscarManAlpha
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:32 AM
My drooling has stopped...for now !!

Love the neatness and simplicity......

Any more pics to drool over ??

I take it with your new place everything has been thought out in relation to the tanks come first, the rest go's around that ??

Bet you didn't even look at the place other than thinking, you could put a x tank here a y tank there ect ect....

Good on you fish nirvana !!

Why wait till you croak when you can create your own heaven here on earth...

Cheers,

Mark

Proteus
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:06 PM
Pro,

Does Matrix style sump is more effecient than normal sump ? What is the good from this type of sump ? I see that it uses much less bio balls than normal sump which means less surface area for bacteria.

This sump will have up to 10 times more surface area than the other sumps I use (bioballs), plus it has no moving parts (spinning arm). The photo that has been posted only has 4 litres of Pond Matrix in it. There is another 8 litres to add, plus several sheets of biomat between chamber 1 & 3. The 4th compartment is for heaters and monitor probes (redox & pH).
Plus I am adding most of the bioballs that are currently in use on the 6x2x2 which the fish are in that will be moving to this tank, they will be placed in the weir (overflow) for even more filtration capacity.

Also, I noticed that you have the return hole on the base of the tank instead on the back of the tank ( pic DSCN0015 (Medium).JPG ). Are you going to extend using PVC pipe to the height of slightly lower than the water level? Otherwise, when you turn off the pump, the sump will be floaded and eventually emptied your tank ?

Thanks

The return will be a PVC pipe which will exceed the surface level with a 45 degree corner section at the top aimed downwards (similar to durso returns) this way when the pump is turned off, minimal water will back siphon into the sump (I have 3 large tanks with this set up now).

The last compartment will be filled to a level that will facilitate power outs etc.

The UV will be run by a seperate pump on a seperate power point with both linked so if one goes off, so does the other. I am thinking somewhere around 1000 litres per hour for UV coming out of the sump and returning to the sump.

All electrical fittings and ballasts (Lights & UV) will be mounted to the cross beams or upright supports so nothing is on the base of the cabinet.

Proteus
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:10 PM
I take it with your new place everything has been thought out in relation to the tanks come first, the rest go's around that ??

Bet you didn't even look at the place other than thinking, you could put a x tank here a y tank there ect ect....

Cheers,

Mark

Exactly, and the best is yet to come... this place even has its very own climate controlled fishroom (well, when I say climate controlled, it stays at a constant 17-19c day or night).

We are buying new furniture to match the cabinets, and the layout is based around what tank goes where, plus we have some fish issues to deal with, such as the Giant Gourami needs to be placed somewhere that he can watch TV, yes, I said watch TV (btw, he hates commercials, turns his back on them, loves the news or anything where a person is clearly visible).

DR.V
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Pro.

Do you mind posting some pictures of the tank and sump when you're done setting it up ?

I want to see the finished products hehe...

Good luck.

Proteus
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:36 PM
will do, and will be showing the setup photos of the other half dozen tanks or so

Ben
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:01 PM
I love it!!

Great set up!! which ever fish goes in there to live will be most happy!!

Keep up posted!

Cheers
Ben

Cuong
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
A very nice, yet clean and simple setup. Look forward to photos of the established version :D

taksan
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
That rocks Ro
8-)

OscarManAlpha
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:17 PM
They say good fish are where you find them.

But in Graemes ( the Giant gourami ) case he did a good job in finding you........

I remember looking into his tank when he was a much younger lad.

When he head butted the glass and almost scared me half to death. Yep he rejected me outright !!

If it's true noble people get reincarnated as fish, then he must have been a very important person indeed !!

Cheers,

Mark

ashley
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:05 PM
Hi Proteus
Nice, neat looking setup, everything in its place, I love neatness.
I see you have the ideal surface (like me) to do water changes and maintainance on, Cream Carpet lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proteus
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:45 PM
Hi Proteus
Nice, neat looking setup, everything in its place, I love neatness.
I see you have the ideal surface (like me) to do water changes and maintainance on, Cream Carpet lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who said anything about getting water on the carpet.... never... lol

Good thing is, the courtyard and garden is only 2ft to the right of that tank, so I expect to have some plants growing like they are on steroids.

Mark, as for the head butting, that is his way of saying G'Day... If he doesnt like you he curls his body up near the surface then gives you the flick... basically a 2ft wall of fish creating a mini tidal wave (he only does that when he doesnt get enough Banana or Lychee for dinner).

This particular setup is for my tankbuster Bala Sharks which have outgrown there 6x2x2 (they should be happy in there for a year or so until they get an even bigger tank).

marg
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:42 AM
Rohan you must have a very understanding partner - what a wonderful person she must be to put up with a resident "fish fanatic".

I've only got a small collection of tanks and every time I add one my family (who don't live with me I might add) roll their eyes and say I am insane!!.

Love your tank - I am green with envy - keep the pics coming - and good luck with your moving - it is a thankless job. I've got a sneaking suspicion you are just moving so that you can add more tanks to your collection.

Cheers,

Marg.

Proteus
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:45 AM
For those wondering what the small black disk is in the right end base panel, that is the airline control module.

AIRLINE CONTROL KIT
This convenient kit is designed to control air flow through an aquarium tank bottom or wall to any two air stones and/or air operated ornaments. It hides unsightly tubing eliminating the need to loop tubing up and over the back of the tank. Can be installed through bottom, back or side wall of aquariums. Made of highest impact resistant PVC, each kit contains:
25mm (1") Bulkhead Fitting (requiring a 45.5mm hole), separate adjustable control knobs to regulate two different flows at the one time, 3m of air tubing and check valve included.

Proteus
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:47 AM
I've got a sneaking suspicion you are just moving so that you can add more tanks to your collection.

shhhhhhhhhhhhh, dont tell anyone

:wink:

*Chris*
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 02:20 AM
iv just moved six tanks at once i know how you feel
but that tank rocks mate
:twisted:

Proteus
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 03:01 AM
I wish I only had 6 tanks to move...

4 are in the process of being set up (including the one in the photos), 1 has to be moved as is (350L corner tank which is empty), then 5 tanks need to be striped down and relocated (ranging from 250L to 800L)

:roll:

DR.V
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 04:28 AM
For those wondering what the small black disk is in the right end base panel, that is the airline control module.

I thought thats your return hole from the sump back to the tank ??

OscarManAlpha
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 06:28 AM
Mark, as for the head butting, that is his way of saying G'Day... If he doesnt like you he curls his body up near the surface then gives you the flick... basically a 2ft wall of fish creating a mini tidal wave (he only does that when he doesnt get enough Banana or Lychee for dinner).

Phew, that's a load off my mind !!

Cheers,

Mark

*Chris*
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:56 PM
the pain we go through for our fish lol

marg
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 01:02 PM
It's called a Labour of Love :lol: :lol: :lol:, and Proteus sure Loves 'em!!

Marg.

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:06 AM
Here are some close ups of the air control gear.

Below the base are 2 control knobs to either close a specific air outlet, or increase the flow, plus a one way valve just in case.

Cuong
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:17 AM
Very nice and tidy, but I personally wouldn't drill a tank just for air. Although none of my tanks have had holes drilled so I guess that's saying something itself :lol:

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:20 AM
The advantage of doing this, is down the track when I want to convert this to an ADA planted tank I can have C02 running through the same device. (the Bala Sharks that are going into that tank to start off with will be going into a bigger tank in about 1 year)

Aside from the weir/overflow in the rear left corner, there will be no equipment visible at all, even down to airlines. This has been set up specifically as a display tank.

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
Return standpipe has been put in place as well as a length of 25mm pvc pipe draining directly to the first sump compartment.

Only 30% of the media is in place, the rest will be added the day the fish are introduced as it is currently in use in another sump filter. The 25mm pipe has deliberatly been placed below the water level to minimise noise.

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:55 AM
In regards to the 6ft tank, all is needed is substrate, a large chunk of wood, some plants and water - that will occur over the next 24hrs.

Now onto the smallest of the new tanks, a 750L 5ft system.

Being that this tank is only 2ft deep I opted for a higher cabinet (approx 900mm) so the top is within 1-2 cms total height of the 6ft tank beside it.
This tank will be using a 2.5ft matrix style sump like the 6ft tank, however the 36w UV will be plumbed into the return line from the AquaMedic Oceanrunner OR6500 pump (as opposed to having its own lower rated pump on a seperate system).

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:57 AM
2 of the new tanks, side by side...

Almost 2000 litres of total water capacity

Cuong
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:28 AM
That's impressive to say the least. Although I'm curious, assuming they're both new tanks why didn't you opt for the same size? Nevertheless I can't wait to see your 'twins' all set up :D

DR.V
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:35 AM
Pro, can you sticky this ? so it would be easy to find.

Thanks

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
That's impressive to say the least. Although I'm curious, assuming they're both new tanks why didn't you opt for the same size? Nevertheless I can't wait to see your 'twins' all set up :D

That would be boring... lol

Just wait till the middle cousin joins those 2 tanks on the other side of the room...

I have had these tanks made according to what is best for the fish that are going in them. The 5ft tank on the higher cabinet is specifically for 2 fish only, the Giant Gourami and a large Gibbiceps. (plenty of surface area given that it is almost 3ft wide)

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:48 AM
Pro, can you sticky this ? so it would be easy to find.

Thanks

Myabe once it is all finished I will condense it into an article and sticky it, in the meantime there should be updates once or twice a day so it is unlikely that this thread will get buried.

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:14 PM
very interesting. i have no idea about whats best for the giant gourami but i would have thought at least 2.5ft high and 3.5 wide? i thought these guys got to about 2.5+ft long? very interested in that tank thoahg! pro can you give me some details about what you had in mind when you got the gourami tank made? what were you looking for in a tank for that fish?

mcloughlin2
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:19 PM
Good thread pro...

Looking forward to the updates... :D

Remeber twice daily updates, or else! :twisted:

Just kidding mate :lol:

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
also i would love an article to be written on sump pro! it seems you have plenty of experience in this area so i would greatly appreciate it if you could make an article including different types of sumps, good and bad of each, how they work, DIYing the sumps if possible etc :D

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 01:16 PM
Did you look for a place with wide door's mate ?

36" wide would be a struggle if not !!

My last place was on the second floor, I would have had to get a tank that wide hoisted up into the place...from the street onto the balcony :lol: :lol:

The thought did cross my mind :shock: :shock:

Have you got enough space between those two for a planted cube ?

I would put money on it you have already measured, if I was a betting man !!

Cheers,

Mark

Proteus
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 03:09 AM
very interesting. i have no idea about whats best for the giant gourami but i would have thought at least 2.5ft high and 3.5 wide? i thought these guys got to about 2.5+ft long? very interested in that tank thoahg! pro can you give me some details about what you had in mind when you got the gourami tank made? what were you looking for in a tank for that fish?

In captivity Giant Gourami's generally only get to 2ft in length. Whilst I would love a tank that is 3.5ft wide, and will be getting one down the track, it just isnt practical given the space that I am using. Another factor in determining the size of tank he will go in is knowing his behaviour, he doesnt go swimming around much, he likes to watch... you, the TV, out the window, etc etc.

also i would love an article to be written on sump pro! it seems you have plenty of experience in this area so i would greatly appreciate it if you could make an article including different types of sumps, good and bad of each, how they work, DIYing the sumps if possible etc

Being that I currently run several types of sumps I will certainly compile something to give the pro's and con's of each type.

Did you look for a place with wide door's mate ?

How does a 5ft wide door sound (double door) with only a 10cm step to get in sound? :wink:

Have you got enough space between those two for a planted cube ?

Still undecided about the 3ft space between the 2 tanks, for the moment it will stay empty, but who knows, another tank may just call that spot home down the track.

I would put money on it you have already measured, if I was a betting man !!

If you were a betting man you would have won.. I mean c'mon, most people when they inspect a property measure the fridge space, washing machine space etc etc... I check the integrity of the floor, how much wall space I have, how wide the doors are, where the powerpoints are, where taps and drains are...

Proteus
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 03:31 AM
Everything is hooked up on the 6ft tank with the sump flowing and recirculating into and back out of the overflow unit.

I have added 5kg of JBL AquaBasis Plus to the front left corner and rear right corner of the tank as this is where some normal and giant Val will be planted (Val is the only plant that the Bala sharks are not interested in destroying???).

Wood, rocks and sand are going in within the next few hours then it is time to filler up...

marg
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 03:46 AM
I would also love to see an Article written on the various types of Sumps available and the thoughts of the Experts on them, both good and bad.

I don't run Sumps, only Cannisters, but would one day in the future like to utilize a Sump and this would assist in the choices available, and help me make my mind up.

Looking forward to it.

Marg.

Dave76
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 06:34 AM
Any chance of a filter shot with all the media etc ?

How do you find it noise wise ?

I've got a stock standard overflow / filter system that can be quiet noisy - thinking it may be time for a change.....

Cheers

Dave

Proteus
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:29 AM
Any chance of a filter shot with all the media etc ?

How do you find it noise wise ?

I've got a stock standard overflow / filter system that can be quiet noisy - thinking it may be time for a change.....

Cheers

Dave

More filter shots will be taken tomorrow once more media is added.

Noise wise the new system needs some tweaks due to the high turnover of water, however the 3 x spinning arm sumps that I have running at the moment are as good as silent.

I will add some pics of tricks that I have learnt over the years to minimise or eliminate the noises that overflows & sumps can make if not configured correctly.

Proteus
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:14 AM
Water added....

Had to make a small adjustment, the 9000lph pump had to be removed and replaced with an AquaMedic OR6500 (6500lph) pump due to excessive pressure in the return pipes.

(the 9000lph pump will be used in a 1000L water aging container which will service the ground floor tanks (display tanks))

marg
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:28 AM
Lookin' good Pro!

Proteus
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks marg...

The rocks havent been added as yet either.

dcarmau
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:38 PM
So Proteus, how -is- this tank going... you never showed the rocks and stuff...

could we got some piccies of the (I assume) completed thing?

DR.V
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:39 PM
Im sure he will post more pictures later on ... ^^

dcarmau
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:41 PM
*whacks head* Sorry 'Ro, just realised I read your "Joined" Date as the "Posted" date!

*bows and scrapes*
please forgive my apparent impatience!

DR.V
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:48 PM
I will add some pics of tricks that I have learnt over the years to minimise or eliminate the noises that overflows & sumps can make if not configured correctly.

Will be waiting for this ...

Pro, you mention that you might convert your tank to ADA tank in the future. But wont the overflow strip down the CO2 from the water ? How are you gonna deal with this ??

Thanks

Proteus
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:08 PM
Will be waiting for this ...

Pro, you mention that you might convert your tank to ADA tank in the future. But wont the overflow strip down the CO2 from the water ? How are you gonna deal with this ??

Thanks

Ah young grasshopper, many things to teach I have, the ways of the wise will be with you soon...

Mwhahaha

(sorry, souldnt resist - thats what happens when you are packing stuff and find your old Karate Kid videos that I thought I threw out 10 years ago... wax on, wax off).

Back to the question, I would use a much smaller pump which would reduce total turnover, add a durso standpipe 1/2 to 2/3 the height of the overflow, fill the overflow with bioballs (as I am about to do anyway) and add some biomatting (koimat) to the very top of the overflow to reduce the water breaking as it leaves the tank.

Yes, I will lose some C02 due to this, but given the overall size of the tank and the amount of C02 that will be needed (2-3 diffusors) I think the loss will be minimal.

Liverpool_pete
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:07 AM
Cant wait to hear how to minimise noise from my overflow.

Should make the wife happy.

kalebjarrod
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:34 AM
Holy crapola

what a setup

your insane!

marg
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:53 AM
Yes Ryan but don't we all envy him (the Tanks, not the moving!!!).,

Marg.

kalebjarrod
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:57 AM
to be honest

i love moving tanks around, give the tank a new lease on life

when they sit and sit and sit

you can become complancent, and then you move it

AND ITS ALL NEW AGAIN

woooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooo

(your still crazy dude, you always have been, and i guess it will stay that way)

:wink:

taksan
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:11 AM
Water added....

Had to make a small adjustment, the 9000lph pump had to be removed and replaced with an AquaMedic OR6500 (6500lph) pump due to excessive pressure in the return pipes.

(the 9000lph pump will be used in a 1000L water aging container which will service the ground floor tanks (display tanks))

You stole my VAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proteus
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:24 PM
You stole my VAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours is safely tucked away, and you got the best bunches... I had to trim mine back a lot as they were quite brown and thin up high

Proteus
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:37 PM
Well it has been pretty much non-stop since Wednesday morning (and yes, that means right through Wed night) ever since our lovely Real Estate agent decided to bring forward our termination date at our current place (had planned for an extra week, cut down to a couple of days)...

Anyways, fish should be added to the 6ft tank tomorrow if it clears up (added a lot of media from another tank and the water is quite murky) also added a canister filter that was on another tank just for good measure and will be bringing at least 300-400L of water from the old tank.

The 5ft tank is now full and is being run in, minimal filter media is in place awaiting all the media in the current tank to be transferred plus 200-300L ofold tank water, it should be occupied tomorrow as well....

Some update pics

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:36 PM
wow looking awesome!!! getting some mega inspiration from this thread! i think a new tank is comming soon heheehe

Robdog
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 10:33 PM
:? Just a few questions Pro.
What kind of substrates do you have going in there?
How much did those tanks set you back and where from?

And most importantly, how do you bag a 1ft GG???

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 10:55 PM
he is bigger than 1ft im pretty sure! :|

Proteus
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
:? Just a few questions Pro.
What kind of substrates do you have going in there?
How much did those tanks set you back and where from?

And most importantly, how do you bag a 1ft GG???

Substrate is high grade Pool Filter sand (pre-washed)

Tanks & Cabinets were from Xtreme Aquariums, other equipment (Pumps, UV, etc) from various sources, mainly the suppliers directly.

Graeme, (GG), is now almost 2ft and once caught will be transported in a large food grade tub

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:26 PM
hehe how do you get him out of his tank? must put up a good fight!

Robdog
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:41 PM
1ft, 2ft what's the difference??? :lol:
You may need to call Steve Irwin and get him to tackle Graeme like a croc to get him out of his tank. :lol:

dcarmau
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:43 PM
Just sneak up on him while he's watching TV! :D

Proteus
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 08:23 AM
more pics and info coming later tonight

marg
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 08:51 AM
I would love to see some Pics of Proteus moving Graeme - I'll bet they'd be funny.

Come to think of it, how DO you move a Fish of that size? A Large Fishing net?

Marg.

DR.V
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 10:28 AM
Just get a huge plastic bag in the water, and scoop it right away. Hehe...

Proteus
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:20 PM
ok, for those that have asked about noise minimisation techniques on overflows/weirs, here goes....

The first image is what I have been mainly using for years, a large pond sponge filter placed over a pvc extension pipe. I have 5-6 sponges and every 2-3 weeks change them as they build up a lot of gunk (great pre-filter).

Second image is a simple piece of 25mm pvc pipe, by rasing the water level the breaking noise is eliminated, plus the flow on that tank is quite low so there is little or no back pressure keeping things quiet.

Proteus
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:27 PM
The next 2 techniques are a little different,

First one, which will be used on most of the new big tanks is the 'Durso Standpipe' method ( http://www.dursostandpipes.com ). This is a combination of PVC fittings, with aquarium strainers placed on the ends.

(my favourite is the perforated pipe system - LINK (http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/mods/perforated.htm) )

Second image is a small piece of 25mm PVC extension (not visible) with a strainer fitted, and over 300 bioballs that were in an existing sump filter. This serves 2 purposes, the bioballs break the water flow reducing the noise, secondly, it helps in maintaining bacterial colonisation so the bioballs can be placed back in a sump when that tank is set up again.

Proteus
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:37 PM
...a few new plants have been added as well:

Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae

Echinodorus 'red rubin'

Echinodorus horemanii "Red"

These will be moved to a dedicated planted tank down the track.

Liverpool_pete
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 02:34 AM
Pro,

Thanks for the info i will be off to the hardware store soon. I think i will go with the Durso method.

Seems preety straight forward. Did you glue any of your joints in or are they just a press fit????

Proteus
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 04:36 AM
They are just a press fit (25mm fittings is what I have used, 1 x T Piece, 1 x 90' angle)

Proteus
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 04:45 AM
Update - The Giant Gourami and Gibbiceps have been moved to there new tank...

I would guess that 10-20 litres of water was splashed onto the carpet when catching him, plus some rather nasty cuts on my hand where he spiked me, but overall everything went well...

He has already given the new tank his seal of approval, doing a dump within a few minutes of checking things out...

:)

OscarManAlpha
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 05:26 AM
He has already given the new tank his seal of approval, doing a dump within a few minutes of checking things out...
:)

Proof his only human after all.

Cheers,

Mark

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:23 AM
Any pics of the big fella?

taksan
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:25 AM
Would that perforated pipe get blocked by debris or is it pre filtered?

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:32 AM
nice! where do you get aquarium strainers?

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:35 AM
nice! where do you get aquarium strainers?

GP, go to oxenford pumps and pipes or all about pumps and pipes labrador :wink:

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:46 AM
oh, do they have the nice metal ones you have?

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:59 PM
yeah dude

Proteus
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 11:34 PM
Here is a breakdown of the sump on the 5ft tank

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 12:09 PM
can we have another update? :D

Proteus
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:00 PM
can we have another update? :D

Yup, the tanks are running well...

will be upgrading the 6x2.5x2.5 to a 7x3x2 in August sometime

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:54 PM
thats gonna be a heavy tank.... :shock:

can we have pics thoagh? :D

Proteus
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:14 AM
More pics will be added when the rooms are properly furnished...

Robdog
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:27 AM
Might have to put early dibs on that 6x2.5

lovenotthrowdiscus
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 01:15 PM
your such the pro proteus!!!!
RATE IT MATE!
thumbs up.

Mattzilla
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 04:07 AM
I saw these tanks in the flesh the other day and all i could say was WOW!!!!!

they are stunning...and HUGE

great looking tanks and so well set up. i always have and always will learn a lot from proteus. good bloke too!!!!

nicholas76
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 05:00 AM
Ro

update pics mate asap :D

Proteus
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 06:13 AM
Ro

update pics mate asap :D

No more pics for the moment, until I sort out what I am going to do with the 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 (which will be replaced with a 7 or 8ft tank of equal width, only 2 ft deep though).

Call it an expensive experiment, but I have found the Sharks do not utilise the added depth to what they had before. Whereas it appears that they give the added 1/2 foot in width the big fins up (they race around like they are on nitrous for an hour or so every day, and when you have big fish going at break neck speed, they need the turning space).

I am just about to update my For Sale post in the classifieds topic area and try and move this brand new 6ft tank a little quicker.

Once I have that all sorted, plus acquire a new 3ft deep tank for my Geo's & Discus I will be uploading loads of pics.

Proteus
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:38 AM
Confirmed, the replacement for the 6x2.5 tank will be 7ft x 3ft

yippee

Guppygal
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:40 AM
Confirmed, the replacement for the 6x2.5 tank will be 7ft x 3ft

yippee

.....and the madness continues

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:34 AM
What ........ only 7 x 3 ???????????

C'mon Ro you need at least a 12 x 4 surely :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proteus
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:14 AM
If I had my way, and the floorspace, it would be bigger than 12 x 4, mark my words...

That will have to wait till I own the place that I am living in.

Proteus
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:25 AM
After seeing the 7x3 cabinet yesterday for the first time, all I can say is OMG... it is huge.

The support beams look like tree trunks and it is taking up a nice chunk of Xtreme's factory space... (next thing I know they will start charging it rent).

Pics to come...

goldenpigeon
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:40 AM
how do you plan on getting this thing into your house? ya gonna go down to Kennard Hire and hire out a few fellas to give you a hand or something?

Proteus
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:48 AM
how do you plan on getting this thing into your house? ya gonna go down to Kennard Hire and hire out a few fellas to give you a hand or something?

Luckily I have double doors (almost 6 ft wide) with street front access through a gate (for the tank on its side) and a low height fence as the cabinet will need to be lifted over due to the width and height (total height 950mm).

When it comes to moving the tank I think cases of beer, bottles of scotch & a BBQ will need to be used to suck in some volunteers.

lol

goldenpigeon
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 02:26 AM
hehe im in!

Proteus
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks to Wabecca from Xtreme for taking a few happy snaps....

(in the background to the left you can also see one of my new 5 x 2.5 x 2.25's being built)

...oh yes, that is a little persons head in the 2nd pic inside the cabinet :lol:

DR.V
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 06:50 AM
The cabinet looks GREAT !!

ellwa
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 04:01 AM

Luckily I have double doors (almost 6 ft wide) with street front access through a gate (for the tank on its side) and a low height fence as the cabinet will need to be lifted over due to the width and height (total height 950mm).

When it comes to moving the tank I think cases of beer, bottles of scotch & a BBQ will need to be used to suck in some volunteers.

lol

you have my attention.:)

goldenpigeon
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 06:36 AM
pay for my plane ticket and give me accomodation and ill give ya a hand :D

PJP
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 04:37 PM
Don't forget my invite to this BBQ
the great thing is that because your so close I could get blind and still be able to stumble home

and that 6x2x2 I got from you is looking good so far now that it has some fish in it but its a fair way from done

nicholas76
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 09:45 PM
They are some thumping big geos!

can we get a close up on those please

Davo
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 09:51 AM
Give me a yell when the big day is near. I'm a sucker for beer's and a BBQ.

Dave.

PJP
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
I'll post some more pics in a new thread in the geo section tomorrow nite nicholas

Peter

nicholas76
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks Peter

look fwd to it.

Ben
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 02:55 PM
Some one say BEER and BBQ??

Proteus
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 02:52 AM
Not long to go before a couple of kinda large tanks are to be set up....

Still trying to work out the configuration of the sump filter on the 7 x 3 x 2.5 tank, however that should be done in the next week or so.

Robdog
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 03:54 AM
You still looking to move the 6x2.5?

Proteus
Thu May 31, 2007, 01:42 AM
UPDATE:

1 Year on and due to a change of owner on the property we live at we are already in the process of moving again.

This time it is going to be even more of a challenge, bigger tanks to set up, and much bigger fish to transport along with a much greater distance between the 2 points compared to the last move (1km up the road).

To be moved or set up (from new) 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft plus the 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft as per previous images in this thread. Then the new tanks 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.25ft and another 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft (Euro Brace - Open top). Once that is all done, the 7ft x 3ft tank will be set up in the garage.

All tanks to be set up inside will have pH & ORP Computers/Controllers, UV sterilizers and top of the line lighting systems (Giesemann, Zumtobel, Bega - gotta love the German products).

The 5ft Euro Brace tank has already been set up with Dupla Ground as the substrate and a triple 150w Halide on it, it isnt running as the plumbing still needs to be configured however photos will be posted soon enough.

I just wish there was a way to move tanks more easily.

krazykatyj
Thu May 31, 2007, 06:17 AM
I don't envy you with the task of moving so much stuff. Perhaps it is time to start looking at buying a place of your own so that you can set up once and for all and never have to move again! But seriously, best of luck, and i hope they gave you a bit of notice this time before you have to have the tanks up and out!

Proteus
Thu May 31, 2007, 09:49 AM
I don't envy you with the task of moving so much stuff. Perhaps it is time to start looking at buying a place of your own so that you can set up once and for all and never have to move again! But seriously, best of luck, and i hope they gave you a bit of notice this time before you have to have the tanks up and out!

Thanks KJ, plenty of notice was given so no issues there... buying a place was on the cards very soon, however this move wasnt really expected so that has pushed things back a bit... oh, and as for buying a place, well that presents another dilemna... the place would have to be built from the ground up as I intend to have one very large custom tank located in the middle of the house... say something like a 12ft x 12ft x 4ft tank with a retracting roof to make it look even more natural on a nice day. I am sure the boof head of a Gourami and the Bala's would love that...

DiscusEden
Thu May 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
Wow! And I spat it & bought a house just 'cos the landlord wouldn't get the doorlocks, airconditioning or leak in the roof fixed - that's gotta motivate you to get that deposit!

Good luck with the move! And getting that dream tank (I dream about you tanks, I always wondered what the man who had it all wanted).

That's a job and a half you have there - I wish you all the best with it!

Proteus
Thu May 31, 2007, 08:34 PM
(I always wondered what the man who had it all wanted).

You would have to ask taksan about that...

:P

DiscusEden
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:07 AM
(I always wondered what the man who had it all wanted).

You would have to ask taksan about that...

:P

Ummm..... I think I might leave that there - I thought we were leaving reptiles to hibernate over winter & doing nothing to wake them up. So stop poking it Pro.

:D

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 03:35 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhh he's hibernating.

He gets really grumpy if you wake him out of hibernation. :P

Proteus
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 03:37 AM
Old age must be catching up with him.... or his photography subjects are keeping him far too entertained...

Mwhahaha

Robdog
Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:23 AM
...the place would have to be built from the ground up as I intend to have one very large custom tank located in the middle of the house... say something like a 12ft x 12ft x 4ft tank with a retracting roof to make it look even more natural on a nice day...

I think you read my mind! Except mine is only going to be 10ftx3ftx3ft but I was just going to have a pair of apisto's in there :lol: :lol: Every time my girlfriend draws up plans for our place I have to take over and sacrifice a bedroom and wall for the tank and theatre room.

:? I'm not sure how skylights will go in cyclone season :?

Proteus
Sun Jun 03, 2007, 08:38 PM
2 down and 2 to go... having a few plumbing issues as well as having to replace some bits and pieces.

Proteus
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 02:03 AM
Update:

Both 5 x 2.5 tanks moved, 1 has been set up as a grow out tank for Peppermint BN juvies, for the moment the other will just hold water for aging purposes (for the other 5ft tank).

The 6 x 2.5 tank has been set up with Graeme (Giant Gourami) very happy in his new home (plus the 12 Clown Loaches that dont have to compete for food with the Bala sharks anymore).

The 7 x 2.5 cabinet is in place, along with the hangmen and the Giesemann lighting system that will be used. The tank should be in place next week.

Once ll that is sorted the 7 x 3 cabinet and eventually tank will be set up in the garage.

Huge thanks to Mattzilla for helping move the tanks.

Roy
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
Ummm photos ?
:D

Roy

AHC
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 03:26 AM
Hi Proteus

Just wanted to see how you are finding the Lifegaurd Airline control kit? Have you converted it to Co2 yet? How does it run with air and or Co2? Can you only hook 1 source up to it i.e Just air or just Co2. Or can you have both air and Co2 running through it?

Sorry for all the questions mate. I love the cleanness of it and want to know before i cet one.