PDA

View Full Version : Substrate and Background colour

DR.V
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:49 AM
Hi all,

Does substrate and background colour effect fish colour and behaviour the in tank ?

Case 1. Light substrate with dark background ?

Case 2. Dark substrate with light background ?

Case 3. Dark substrate and background ?

Case 4. Light substrate and background ?

Which one would be the best for fish in general, not just discus.

Any thoughts or comments will be appreaciated.

Thanks

mcloughlin2
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
Case 1. Light substrate with dark background ?

Case 2. Dark substrate with light background ?

Case 3. Dark substrate and background ?

Case 4. Light substrate and background ?

I have colour matched the questions with my responses.. :wink:

1) I feel the fish would have a lighter colour, which will in turn be intensified by the dark background

2)I think the fish will have show normal colours, depending on time of day and mood...

3) IMO the fish will have a darker colour then average, ie: If it was a malboro red discus, the peppering will most liley show more, if it was a maingano cichlid, the blue will intensify depending on quality...

4) The fish will have a lighter colour then normal...

HTH and this is only based on my experiance..

I once moved a malboro red which was of very high quality with no peppering (Purchased from SLS) into a darker tank and within a few weeks peppering had become obvious... :(

I like for my africans a darker background with sand as gravel....looks very nice IMO..

It has not changed the colour on them, but then again they are of very good quality so i wouldnt expect that...

With my discis i prefer i lighter coloured base and background... :wink:

Phlipper
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:54 AM
The only behavioural trait I have occasionally noticed with my fish is when using a dark background, the dark backgrounds create a mirror effect with the glass and some fish are drawn to it, often with fighting a potential rival as seen in the reflection.

DR.V
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
I once moved a malboro red which was of very high quality with no peppering (Purchased from SLS) into a darker tank and within a few weeks peppering had become obvious... :(

I think water parameter and quality also play an important role in terms of keeping high quality fish here.

I was thinking to setup my new tank with black gravel and painted the back black.

But then Phlipper mention ( which I had in mind before ) that dark background will create mirror effect which will make some fish very aggressive which can lead to damage to themselves.

Perhaps I should paint the back dark or light blue ??

Thanks

Phlipper
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:37 PM
If I can make another small suggestion, dont paint the back, because if you dont like it, you will be cursing trying to remove it. I always experiment with coloured paper sheets from the newsagent or stationary suppliers or what ever you can find, easy to remove or change later on. I personally find a nice bright blue to show off colours well, in particular orange shades, I did this in my goldfish tank { cant find picture :( } and the effect was very good.

mcloughlin2
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry guys as i know this isnt a discus related picture (they're tanks are dark with no lights and not for display purposes)

But here is my maingano breeding tank, it has Pool filter sand in it with a light blue background..

You cannot really see the background in this picture, but if you want ill snap another picture for you tomorow...

I like blue backgrounds over black as they suit a wider range of fish IMO..

Black can sometimes created a "Ugly" colour while the blue background will help bring it out more...

JMO... :D

samir
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:02 PM
i like your tank, maybe i'll do the same,

DR.V
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Phlipper, but I prefer to paint the back as it turn out to be tidier.

Thats why Im trying to figure out what colour would be best for my tank.

DR.V
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:00 PM
mcloughlin2, I can see that your tank have light blue background ( maybe the light ?? ), are they painted ?

Thanks

mcloughlin2
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:43 PM
Yes your correct DR.V, its a light blue background...

I prefer not to paint any of my tanks as i change my mind alot so buying a cheap background has always been my preference... :P

Ps: I have replied to your pm... :wink:

sammigold
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 01:57 AM
We got a piece of thin malamine the same size as the back of the tank and then stuck vinyl contact onto it...(in our case black) and then slipped it in between the tank and the stand (it fitted perfectly) and then when we (or should I say I) changed my mind and wanted to change it it was very easy!!

Just an idea...

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 05:51 AM
All great suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Has anyone tried those underwater scenes as backgrounds. Like submerged tree stumps or river rocks. I think they'd look pretty good too.

Phlipper
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 08:28 AM
Yep, I've got the fake swamp scenes on three of my tanks and they really set them off nicely, they tend to make the tank look full of plants, and is cheap to buy 8-)