PDA

View Full Version : Tumeric or raw Pumpkin seed for worms prevention?

tbcha1
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:01 PM
Hi ppl
I was reading on the net that tumeric and raw pumpkin seed can help treat roundworms and other parasites. Has anyone ever fed discus these? just thought if i was to make a beef heart mix i could add these as preventatives? or would that be a waste of time and be harmful to the fish?
Anyways this is is a cut from the site i read:

"Garlic is my personal favorite for most any infection. It has over 70 active ingredients and is effective against all infections – including those from fungi, parasites, viruses, and bacteria. Harmful microbes can’t wait to get out of the body when garlic is present (some humans run too when someone has eaten it but so what!!)
Turmeric is an ordinary spice that is excellent for the digestion and virtually little taste. However, it does turn things yellow so be careful what touches it. Like garlic, it also destroys the activity of the parasites but does not damage the body.
Pumpkin seeds (raw, unroasted) have a long history of treating roundworms and other parasites."

http://www.innvista.com/HEALTH/microbes/parasite/round.htm

marg
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:30 AM
It would be interesting to see what others think of this - my opinion is that anything natural should be good for our Fish - would be a real bonus if this works on worms - big saving on some worming products - you could grind the pumpkin seeds into the beefheart mix and add the Tumeric when you are doing the final mixing.

I am already adding Garlic to my Beefheart mix. I used to show Dogs and whenever I made up their food I always added Garlic.

Anyone got any knowledge of these items?

Marg.

Robdog
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 09:29 PM
Anyone else use garlic or any other additives??

Ben
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 01:41 AM
Never hurts to add garlic to a BH mix.
If you add too much though, the discus will reject it!

I don’t add garlic as I worm by fish every 6-9 months and don’t feed "suspect" foods, which may carry worm or worm eggs.

And all new fish are put through a strict quarantine regime!

lesley
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
Hi Ben,

what worming meds do you use?

do you medicate when you quarantine - I am planning to get some new young fish in the next few weeks and will definite be quarantining but am thinking about meds during quarantine?

Ben
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 01:43 PM
what worming meds do you use?

Big L and gill/tapeworm tablets.

do you medicate when you quarantine

This depends where they came from. Its fine to treat whilst quarantining.