PDA

View Full Version : beefheart receipe questions

k9outfit
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 04:05 PM
Ok, decided to break down and make this stuff. :) Now for the questions. Where do I find Spirulina? Could I substitue with HBH Super veggie blend since I do have some of that on hand, or should the Spirulina be in a larger proportion? Also, garlic; we have some minced stuff in a jar, free of additives, other than Ascorbic acid to prevent discolouring. Is that safe to use? Ascorbic acid is only vitamin C, isn't it? Though I have no idea of the source.

TIA; can't wait to start mucking! :P

marg
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:45 AM
Spirulina you will get from your local Health Food Store - you can buy a jar of powdered Spirulina (don't buy the tablets) and it will last you for years.

HBH Super Veggie Blend I don't know anything about at all. I have never used it.

As for Garlic, I just buy a whole clove at the Supermarket and munch it up.

Hope this helps.,

Marg.

k9outfit
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:46 AM
Thanks!

I was trying to find the spirulina (unsuccessfully) in stores that carry natural herbal pet food additives. :oops:

k9outfit
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 02:16 AM
I know; I'm being very obtuse about this, but... I've got all the ingredients lined up, ready to go, except for the shrimp. The only ones I'm finding are cooked, with salt added. Is the small quantity of salt OK for the mix, or should I keep looking for completely unprocessed ones?

Ben
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 03:27 AM
Look for green, uncooked prawns.

You dont want any salt in your BH mix.

HTH

Ben

marg
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 03:49 AM
I couldn't get any shrimp in good ole downtown Wagga Wagga, so i just added extra Prawns and White Fish Fillets to my mix.

My Mob love it!!

Marg.

k9outfit
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 03:23 PM
Ok, more prawns it is; found those no problem. In the mean time, I'll sacrifice myself and eat all the shrimp we bought, so's it doesn't all go to waste. :D