PDA

View Full Version : FS or Trade Agar for Homemade food

aussieorchid
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:07 PM
I have a little over 500g of agar for use in making homemade food. As I no longer have my breeding setup I do not do the homemade thing so looking to get rid of this. I am willing to split into smaller lots if a few people are interested. Make an offer or will trade for fishy items.

vince
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:47 AM
mate:

i am just interested that what is agar?

aussieorchid
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:51 AM
In short agar exactly like gelatin but made from seaweed not animal products.

Long Answer.

Agar
From Wikipedia

Agarose (or agar) is a galactose polymer obtained from the cell walls of some species of red algae or seaweed (Sphaerococcus euchema) and species of Gelidium and Gracilaria, chiefly from eastern Asia, Chile and California. It is also known as Kanten, Agar-Agar, or Agal-Agal (Ceylon Agar).

Chemically, agar is a polymer made up of subunits of the sugar galactose; it is a component of the algae's cell walls. Dissolved in hot water and cooled, agar becomes gelatinous; its chief use is as a culture medium for microbiological work. Other uses are as a laxative, a vegetarian gelatin substitute — a thickener for soups, in jellies, ice cream and Japanese desserts such as anmitsu, as a clarifying agent in brewing, and for paper sizing fabrics.

vince
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:26 AM
thanks for the informative explanation.

I did not know that before....

good luck for the sale!

zipztar
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 08:16 AM
agar is also good for making malaysian/asian sweets! lol i got some in my cupboard.. (not that i know how to make them yet) im rather confined to making curries and other spicy stuff!

leptir
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:03 AM
The real name is "agar agar"
Find it at most supermarkets for around $4.50

aussieorchid
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:21 AM
Leptir

Where do you buy it for that price and for what size packet. It is generally upwards of $10 for 100g or less.

leptir
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 01:16 AM
I can get you 10 kg's for uner $50