PDA

View Full Version : How big is an adult discus?

danielb
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 07:52 AM
Ok, I'm confused I have three general aquarium keeping books, two fish species encyclopaedia’s and two books on discus and none of them can agree on the size of an adult discus !! Yesterday I saw a couple posts on a forum suggesting the sizes can be different depending on the type (planted or bare) of aquarium the discus are raised in. :?

I'm looking at keeping discus in a fully planted aquarium of a size between 180 litres and 210 litres. Just how big should I expect the discus to get if I raise them in a planted tank?

samir
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 08:40 AM
http://chanmingdiscus.com/catalog01.html
breeds large discus. has some max sizes up on his fish

dachoo
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:08 AM
Hi danielb
It all come down to the quality & quantity of food you feed plus the water management ( clean water & temp) from juvi to mature will determine how big your discus are Another factor would be have them been sick & stress level during this period. Once mature their growth rate is minimal.

jim from sydney
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Daniel.....the are soo many variables here that to name them all would scare you away...i am sure

however....40 liters of water to 1 adult discus is a good rule for discus keeping.....the rest is for you to look after them well......

this means good clean water ...lots of w/c .......and good food is at that stage the key to it all

growth is also a function of variables related to parents and methods of spawning and raising the fry, which would have been beyond your control.

so dont worry... get healthy fish from a reliable source.....and do the best you can

have fun....if in doubt ...ask.

Matt_Discus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 02:24 PM
http://chanmingdiscus.com/catalog01.html
breeds large discus. has some max sizes up on his fish
Very nice Link mate :D :D :D

danielb
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks (keep it coming!), I guess I'm just nervous about providing the best home I can for the discus within my budget. I don't want to keep fish in a tank thats really too small for them (max I can afford/accomodate is 180-210L). There just seems to be so much controdictory information on the internet (and in books) about discus, which makes me nervous as by all accounts the tank I could get would be on the small end of the spectrum for discus.

samir
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 02:54 PM
4 discus would be fine in a 210 litre even if they grow to 8 inches