PDA

View Full Version : Aggression or Courting?

Idisscusdiscus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:30 AM
First of all i must say this is probably the best discus site on the internet. It has been put together very well! Nice Job! :thumb :thumb

Now to the topic,
Recently i took the plunge and set up a 55 gallon discus tank. I currently have 4 cories in it and 6 black neon tetras and two discus that are each approximately 3 inches in length. I have notice that one of the discus has had more intense colors. It has also been running over to the other discus annd chasing it to the other side of the tank when it comes out. It is not violent agression but it is somewhat forceful. The other discus does not seem pissed off, he just does what the other one makes it do. If he swims out he is just force right back to that side of the tank. The happens over and over again throughot the whole day like it is some kind of game. I have also notice that the discus that chases him will fan that discus on occasion. So is this Agression or Courtship?
All help is greatly appreciated!

sammigold
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:57 AM
I would say it is aggression and you may find that it is because you have only the two of them...

Discus generally do better in groups of 3 or more as they are a schooling fish.. also Aggression tends to be spread out a little more, the more. There will always be a dominant fish...

If at the moment the aggression isnt too bad, and the other discus is not showing any symptoms of stress you could just keep observing and see if things settle, or you could get another discus to give the dominant discus someone else to choose from so that he doesnt constantly pick on the one... (of course you may find that a new discus may become dominant.. as tables can turn very quickly when it comes to whose boss in the tank! LOL)

HTH

marg
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:12 AM
Have to agree with you there, Sammi!!

Marg.

Nathan
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 05:30 AM
i agree with sammigold as well, i think its agression as they are new to there environment and discus are quite shy and dont really feel safe unless in numbers of at least 4.

Bill T.
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 06:17 AM
Gop on, get sopme more discus - you know you want to!

Inspiringfish
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:35 AM
The peer pressure is great,,, succum to your desire young grasshopper.

Idisscusdiscus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 04:42 PM
i would get another if i could afford it. Do you think the discus will outgrow this aggression ever?

marg
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:57 AM
Once you have a few more in the tank it usually settles down. If you still seem to be having problems just jump on the Forum - there are plenty of ideas on how to curb it once there are a few more in the tank.

Marg.

Bill T.
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:48 AM
I have plans to breed on a not for profit basis. If I succeed, will gladly give you some more discus - where abouts do you live, by the way?

Idisscusdiscus
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 01:31 AM
i live no where near Australia. I live in the states

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 05:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Idisscusdiscus. We have lots of friends in the states.

Discus are cichlids, and there will always be a dominant fish in the tank, especially when there are only two of them. If you can manage to get another two of them, that would be the ideal solution, otherwise you may just have to keep an eye on them and make sure the aggression doesn't get out of hand.

Idisscusdiscus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 05:58 PM
*UPDATE*
Now the fish that was being chased seems to be coming back at the other discus. They are constantly fanning each other, and their colors are becoming more intense. They swim together most of the time and seem somewhat happy, yet when it comes to feeding time is when the agression is the worst.

nicholas76
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:20 PM
Hi Idisscusdiscus,

usually a discus "pair" will not display this type of behaviour especially during feeding time. I have found with my pairs that sharing and caring policy applies.

it just sounds like you have a typical alpha fish thats ruling the roost!