PDA

View Full Version : Pool filter sand

savrocca
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
Hi i want to buy pool filter sand as a substrate for my aquarium. I live in melbourne.
Is all pool filter sand the same color? Which pool shop sells the whitest Pool filter sand?
I have been reading that when people open the packet of pool filter sand the color of the sand is brown, Does every variety of pool filter sand turn white when under water?
Which store sells the best pool filter sand?

mcloughlin2
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 09:50 PM
It depends from shop to shop.. :)

When i bought some PFS, the shop told me it wasnt white, it was brown..when they opened the bag for me it turned out to be a nice white colour...i will try to post some pictures for you this afternoon... :wink:

Phlipper
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
Well, even if you find some white pool filter sand, it wont stay that way for long as it gets dirty and algae coated.

Proteus
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
Well, even if you find some white pool filter sand, it wont stay that way for long as it gets dirty and algae coated.

Sorry, must disagree with that. I have been using Pool Filter Sand for years and have never had a algae or discolouration issue. Mind you, I have ensured the water parameters are balanced and dont overlight the taks that it is used in.

ashley
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:44 AM
Hi Savrocca

If you live in the Eastern suburbs,you can pick up a good filter sand from the pool shop at Banksia nursery.

I have had mine setup for a couple of months and have had no problems with algae on the substrate at all.

It looks grey in colour in the bag but comes up quite white when in the tank.

However be aware that this sand is filthy and needs to be cleaned throughly before putting it into your tank.

Ashley :) Have attached this pic to give you an idea of how it looks

DR.V
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 06:32 AM
Mind you, I have ensured the water parameters are balanced and dont overlight the taks that it is used in.

Pro, how do you keep water parameters balanced ? eg. age the water before W/C ? Other things you do ??

Thanks

Proteus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 06:37 AM
here are a few pics of a tank that has been set up fo a few years

Proteus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 06:41 AM
Mind you, I have ensured the water parameters are balanced and dont overlight the taks that it is used in.

Pro, how do you keep water parameters balanced ? eg. age the water before W/C ? Other things you do ??

Thanks

Age the water 3-5 days minimum prior to doing a water change (in a 200L barrel), have massive filters in place (1 x Canister, 1 x AC500, 1 x 4500lph sump, 36w UV, AquaMedic NR1000 Nitrate Reductor & controller). The Discus get a 200L water change every week, or more frequent if the pH drops more than .2 (using a pH monitor from a C02 setup)

Nathan
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 06:55 AM
beautiful discus you have there pro

DR.V
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the advice Pro.

In your second pic, what is that strong water coming from the top right ?

Thanks

Proteus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the advice Pro.

In your second pic, what is that strong water coming from the top right ?

Thanks

The stream of bubbles is from an air disk built into the base, also the wave like image at the top is a slight bend in the backing paper on the tank (the tape gave way)

mcloughlin2
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:43 AM
Here is a picture of one of my tanks with PFS in it..

:D

Matt_Discus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:43 PM
I'm in the northern area of melbourne and i was wondering where there would be pool filter sand i can purchase?

mcloughlin2
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:46 PM
Im sure ladyred, taksan, or ben could help you out... :wink:

I'm in the northern area of melbourne and i was wondering where there would be pool filter sand i can purchase?

marg
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:23 AM
Proteus that second Photo of yours is beautiful!!

What healthy looking fish, and gorgeous colours too!!!

Marg.