PDA

View Full Version : diy food help

Brian89
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 09:38 AM
hi guys,
i am planning to make some diy foods but i only have a blender that i can think of that might be able to do the job. it seems that the mincer is what peole would use but can you tell me the advantages or disadvantages of a blender otherwise i will have to get a mincer.
thanks

marg
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Brian,

I know that a lot of people use Mincers but I didn't have a Mincer and i have made (2) lots of Food up now using my Blender/Food Processor and it seems to chop things up nicely. My Fish are eating it o.k.

Hope this helps.,

Regards,

Marg.

aussieorchid
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:07 AM
I found the blender can quickly make mush if you mix it too long. Resulting food just messes up the tank and is too fine for the fish to eat.

Brian89
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
yeah, thats what i thought the blender would do but i thought i might be able to get away with it. but i was wondering if you guys think i can get away with a blender or would i be better of with a brand new mincer and if so what mincer brand/type would be good to buy.
thanks

Phlipper
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'm using a mincer, the old fashioned type I got from a secondhand store, it works fine but some of the bits tend to be a little chunky and sometimes the fish have a bit of difficulty getting it down. My personal opinion is to mince as fine as possible with a blender and then freeze it so it becomes easy to break off bits for feeding, and then there are no big lumps lying on the tank bottom to foul the water, if its finely minced the smaller fish will relish it as well

samir
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:46 PM
I know that a lot of people use Mincers but I didn't have a Mincer and i have made (2) lots of Food up now using my Blender/Food Processor and it seems to chop things up nicely. My Fish are eating it o.k.

easy for you to say Marg :lol: i've been told that i'll be in big trouble if I use the blender. :lol: :lol: :lol: ebay has a lot of cheap hand mincers or you could get a burley mincer from a tackle/bait shop.

Brian89
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:12 PM
well thanks guys for all your help and i will take in account all your suggestions and well i think i will firstly try the blender and if that doesnt work then i will purchase a mincer.

aussieorchid
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:59 PM
It can be done in the blender just do not make soup out of it. Also if you freeze the beefheart until it is just firm not frozen it will blend better and prevent the soup happening. Try is with small amounts until you get the hang of just how long to blend for. I also found it better to blend different ingredients separately as they need varying amounts of time to get the right size. Have a bowl handy and add each ingredient as it is blended to the right size and mix by hand that worked best for me.

stonedavid
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 04:04 AM
Hey guys, Blenders are perfectly fine to use, if it gets too fine or sloppy the best thing is to add some weetbix into it to dry it out, Rich in Thiamin, riboflavin, zinc, magnesium and only .05 grams of fat. Have been using it for years and all fish will eat. Mincers are also good but certain ones cant make it fine enough. I usually put about 7 weetbix in per batch of food i make up with all the other ingrediants. Hope this helps

Phlipper
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
I'm thinkin' once you've used the blender for making fish food, you wouldn't want to use it for anything else ............bleeeeech !!! :lol:, better get the cooks permission first, and if you decide to keep it a secret you better hope the cook doesn't ask you if you want a banana smoothie for dessert one day later on :shock: :lol:

marg
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 02:13 PM
Philliper,

The Ingredients for the Seafood & Beefheart Mix are of the highest quality and are all fit for Human consumption (e.g. Prawns, White Fish Fillets, Salmon, Beefheart, Garlic & Spirulina), so they won't contaminate the Blender - the dry Ingredients (e.g. Fish Flakes) are usually handmixed into the wet mix, so no problems there.

If you were really worried as you said, Bleach works wonders!!

I use my Blender to mix up my Fish Food and I just give it a good scrub out when I have finished.

Marg.

Brian89
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 01:30 PM
well, the blender wasn't a success as i got permission to use it but the blender was so ancient that it was probably 10+years old and it couldnt blend the mix as my mum reckons i had put too much into the blender and it was just all dry ingredients which made it impossible to blend. i pretty much jammed all the ingrediants in the blade and mum wasnt too happy with me. so mum came to a decision to buy a mincer and we went to The Good Guys, we couldnt find a manual hand mincer so we had to get an electrical mincer and it was a dream to use as i made my recipe for the first time without any effort within a half an hour.
thanks to everyone with their ideas and a special thanks to ladyred and RJ Acher with their help with their recipes as my fish absolutely love it.

cheer,
Brian

Phlipper
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 01:48 PM
Philliper,

The Ingredients for the Seafood & Beefheart Mix are of the highest quality and are all fit for Human consumption (e.g. Prawns, White Fish Fillets, Salmon, Beefheart, Garlic & Spirulina), so they won't contaminate the Blender - the dry Ingredients (e.g. Fish Flakes) are usually handmixed into the wet mix, so no problems there.

If you were really worried as you said, Bleach works wonders!!

I use my Blender to mix up my Fish Food and I just give it a good scrub out when I have finished.

Marg.

I wasn't being serious, just trying to make light hearted humour 8-)

marg
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 02:21 PM
No worries :D :D.

I just thought some people might be worried about that aspect, and thought I'd have my little say.

As I was saying, all the Ingredients are fit for human consumption - I seem to recall Ladyred hinting that Jim from Sydney was serving his up as a ttype of Pate on biscuits to his houseguests :lol: :lol: :lol: .,

Marg.

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 03:03 PM
Yep, all true Marg.

I think my fish eat better than I do :lol:

samir
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 03:07 PM
how nice of your mum to get you the mincer :D