PDA

View Full Version : Best Bristlenose Algae Wafers

aussieorchid
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 04:20 AM
Just wanted to get some opinions on the best algae wafers for bristlenose cats. I have just finished my HBH ones so not sure if I should buy the same or maybe one of the other brands. My discus love to pick at them too so I figured I should get the best for all tank members.

The Omega One vege rounds with Kelp sound good. Anyone used these.

Cheers

vince
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 05:50 AM
My LFS strongly recommeded Omega One,

I think it is good too.

As i still have some other brands at the moment, i did not bother buying them.

Another thing i find is once my BN get used to the discus food...they are not interested in the vegie chips anymore..

My BN just take whatever i feed the discus...like bloodworm, mysis, brineshrimp, breeder's premium, sera discus etc...

I heard Hakri makes good food as well...i also think JBL makes good food.

Well, try Omega One.....and tell us how is it....

vince

vince
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 05:51 AM
forgot to mention,

Hakri is on special in APW at the moment.

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=369

DR.V
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 05:51 AM
I always use Hikari ...

Nathan
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 06:04 AM
i also use hikari

aussieorchid
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I might order a small jar of the omega one veggie rounds as well as the Hikari as APW carries both. Will let you all know what I and my fish think of the omega one veggie rounds when they arrive.

Vince I normally let my bristlenose eat what ever goes in the tank as well but as it is now full planted with cardinals, rummynose, panda cories black neons, yoyo loaches etc I like to make sure there is something in there for the bristlenose, cories and loaches that the fish can not just gobble up.

Ben
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:48 PM
Hikari all the way!

pay the little extra $ but the product is excellent

cheers
Ben

Proteus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:54 PM
I use both Hikari & Omega One, they both disappear as quickly as they are added to the water.

I only wish Omega One came in larger sizes

vince
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 02:31 AM
Has anyone tried Sera?

I have always seen the full range of Sera food in my LFS. I am a strong believer in Sera brand. I have always used their community granule, loach food...but never tried their vegie wafer...

By the way, i fould sera makes the best filter media (siporax) as well (at least one of the best)...

vince

Proteus
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 02:33 AM
By the way, i fould sera makes the best filter media (siporax) as well (at least one of the best)...

I think you will find JBL Micromec is far superior to siporex (1500m2l surface area)

Sera wafers are ok, some of my fish and catties eat it, my peppermints and gibbis ignore it...

vince
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 05:53 AM
Proteus:

I agree with you on the surface area.

Sera siprorax: 270 meter square/ L

JBL micromec: 1500 meter square/ L

Eheim pro: 450 meter square/ L

Seachem Matric : 270 meter square/ L

Fluval bio max: is not said...but supposed to be 10 times better than plastic balls.

if you have a look at the numbers, JBL micro mac is the best and one of the cheapest. Sra siporax on the other hand is the most expenisve one.

I have seen many German Hobby using the sera siporax not other brand.
I personally tried all of them and find i like the sera and seachem the most.

It may just be a personal opinion. But it is like car's fuel consumption. The practical result is not always the same as what the manufacturer suggested.

I also wandor whether they have a set standard to measure the surface area of the bio media.

Is surface area the only concern about the efficiency of the bio media?
What about the diameter of the mocro holes on the media? surface slipperyness, how space inside the media structured? How about oxgen level it manteins to the anerobic bacteria? how about the water contact time? many more i think...

I have not seen a research experiment on testing all the bio media, like how fast do they convert Ammonia into nitrite... (when they fully mature, of course) a comparision will be quite valuable.

There has been lots of companies using manipulated technical data for marketing. (I am not saying on bio media)

I always have that sort of questions once i look at different bio-media.

Well, it is just my personal opinion. All different aspects are welcome.

vince

aussieorchid
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:19 AM
Well my omega one vege rounds arrived today from APW along witha variety of other items and it seems the bristlenose were eager to eat them. Will see if the rest of the tankmates enjoy them as well. Great job from APW my order was placed sunday night arrived at my door in Brissy tuesday.

Proteus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:25 AM
To add to that, I use Pond Matrix in most , if not all of my sumps, along with bioballs in my older systems.

Micromec, IMO is best for canister & HOB filters

vince
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:53 PM
first of all, i may try the omega one vegie wafer myself....since i have heard so many good comments on them...

secondly, to Proteus: does your seachem Pond matrix help with the nitrates level?

The manufacture always states that the inner part of the bio media will host arobic bacteria and good for decreasing the nitrates level. I personally did not find any of the bio media helped with nitrates depite they are excellent on working with ammonia and nitrites.

Maybe i should may a very slow bypass filter, like make it 40 L / hr or even slower to see if it will work.

Proteus: have you got any idea how to do this by pass filter thing?

vince