PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole question

sammigold
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 05:34 AM
Hi, if anyone would mind looking at my last couple of posts on the levamisole sticky... I would appreciate it... :D

I still see some pinprick threads from the anus of one of my gups... all others seem to be fine...

will I need to treat again in a couple of weeks?

thanks in advance...

samir
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:14 AM
Sami, if i'm not mistaken I think Camallanus are livebearers, so the eggs are out of the equation. a second dose is recommended after 10-14 days. i think they stick out of the anus when they release larvae. so if your fish still have worms protuding out the rear they are reproducing and reinfecting. i would recommend another dose and if you still see signs of the worms yet another in 2 weeks.

sammigold
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks samir...I will be doing that...Could it be possible that they are dead and hanging out as she hasnt been able to expel them properly...

I am still going to redose tank as I have fry in there that I dont want infected... (having worms doesnt stop them having babies!! LOL)

Phlipper
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
This may be of some comfort to you, I have been experimenting with the Levamisole lately with various fish like Guppies, Bettas and Angels at up to 4 times recommended strength with no apparent adverse effects.....so if I were you I would redose to make sure as I'm pretty sure it wont harm the fish.

sharn
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
its very possible they are dead inside her and havent fallen out. ive read of the epsom salts being used after treatment cause if they dont come out they can rot inside :S

however i would still re-dose after 2 weeks or so just to make sure. you might even need to look at antibotics etc as the worms can cause alot of internal problems, it seems that they can get bacterial infections in the wounds the worms have made etc (this is all from my reading)

good luck!

*Chris*
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
any of the chems used to treat camillanus if you overdose them you run the risk of making your fish sterile. ivmectin fen' and lev'!

samir
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:56 PM
i doubt that they are dead. i suggest redose but not overdose .

sammigold
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:59 AM
I will definitely not be overdosing as I have some baby gibbiceps in that tank and dont want to harm them...

I may separate her and treat separately with epsom salts to help expel, give her another dose of lev, and also redose the other tank in 2 weeks just to give some time...(being cautious)

Thanks for the advice guys...much appreciated..

sharn
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:12 AM
sammi- whats the ph of your tank (regarding the 'ph below 7' thing). id like to dose but my tank is on 7.2 lol

sammigold
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:07 AM
My PH is on about 7 (possibly just over) havent checked for a week or so...
Is it proven that it doesnt work on ph of over 7 or is "hearsay".... where did you hear that?
I am worried that if that is the case maybe what I have done is pointless.. but I am sure that it worked on a couple of the other gups that now show no signs of "pins in bum" syndrome (as I call it. LOL) when they had them before...

I suppose I just have to keep a close watch!!!

sharn
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:14 AM
ive just dosed my tank and the ph is at 7.2 so well see how it goes.

im not sure if its actually proven, its more hearsay and ive just read it on a few sites while browsing for info. i would assume if it is true it would be alot more widely known as this isnt a uncommon problem.

my fish seem to be pretty happy so far, im not sure when im going to do the water change though. some sites say three days after, some say 24 and 48 hours after lol. i spose ill hit for the middle and do a 48 hour treatment...

sammigold
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:04 AM
I did it after 3 days and now I will wait another 2 weeks and then re dose.... Good luck with your guys!!!

sharn
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:09 AM
hmmm... my fish were looking not so happy after 48 hours so i changed the water then. next day the girl ram who was most heavily infected had no signs but the male and a rummynose had adults showing, very young as they werent even that red or large yet i assume :(

pretty annoying so im going to boil up some peat and put that in to drop the ph then try again in two weeks

sammigold
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
so far my fish seem to be looking good, no signs of anymore worms... but I will be re dosing next week to ensure that any hangers on are deady bones!!!