PDA

View Full Version : Easy Discus

Matt_Discus
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 01:14 PM
Hi all I was wondering what will be the easiest Discus to keep for my first pair and the cheapest? :) :) :)

samir
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 01:20 PM
probably turquoise

FishLover
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 03:17 PM
I would get more than a pair. 6 young turgs would be a good start. You most likely will get a pair out of that. Plus, discus do better in a group of 6 or more. Otherwise, you may have some fighting going on and even lead to health problems.

Of course, you need a big enough tank to have them. 10 g per adult is the general rule here most people agree. You may put more young discus in a tank but keep in mind you will have to find another tank for them later on.

Waldo
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 10:18 PM
severums...just kidding.

Idisscusdiscus
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:25 PM
turqs probably, make sure to get at leats 4-6 of them to even out the agression.

mcloughlin2
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 04:41 AM
Turks or blue diamonds would be the best to start off with... :)
If you plan on buying a breeding pair make sure its not a Lighter coloured pair as they will be harder to breed...

ozarowana
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 05:23 AM
Easiest = healthiest

I'd agree with the others in that turks seem to be the cheapest.

G-1000
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:04 PM
It isnt that turks are the easiest to keep. All discus (except wild-caught) are about as hard to keep as each other. It is just that turks being an established strain, are slightly cheaper. Same as cobalts or common pigeons.

G

dntx5b9
Mon Oct 30, 2006, 03:03 AM
So, does that mean that some discus are not easier to keep than others? I read in a aquarium fish book (not a discus book) that some strains are more delicate and thus harder to keep. I haven't had much success with alenquers and probably won't buy them again, but wondering other than blue turqs whether they are other more robust strains.

nicholas76
Mon Oct 30, 2006, 04:21 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9793

also refer to search engine , its been covered heaps :D

dntx5b9
Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:15 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9793

also refer to search engine , its been covered heaps :D

I did the search and came to this thread. Couldn't find anything else. If you can kindly point me to couple of good threads, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

nicholas76
Tue Oct 31, 2006, 07:47 AM
tyep in easy strains and scroll down

you will see them if you look hard enough bud

dntx5b9
Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:27 PM
tyep in easy strains and scroll down

you will see them if you look hard enough bud

OK, typed in "easy and strain" and not much came up. One thread recommending blue diamond. That's about it. I was looking for something more comprehensive and detailed than get a blue turq or blue diamond. So, any other detailed info on different type of strains and their care requirements would be greatly appreciated. If they are pretty much all the same, then so be it, I suppose ... It's that I've read in a book that there are more delicate type, that's all.

nicholas76
Wed Nov 01, 2006, 02:05 AM
when it comes down to it there really isnt much more than that.

clearly a newer strain would be naturally harder to maintain. e.g albino compared to a well estabilished strain such as a turq.

I would also classify wilds in the harder to keep basket. ( specific ph / water requirements )

But if your begining I would start with whatever you can afford and try your luck on the common hardy variety that we have mentioned.

good luck

dntx5b9
Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:34 PM
So other than the wilds, is there a strain or two that I should stay away from? Albino is mentioned as potentially a delicate strain. Anything else?

nicholas76
Fri Nov 17, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hi dntx5b9,

generally the up keep is the same so if your feeling confident with your fish keeping ability there is no reason why you cant have albinos or any other strain.

I would treat my pigeons or turqs the same way id treat any other strain :)