PDA

View Full Version : parazites in peat?

rytis
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 08:03 PM
we had this big argument about hydras in breeding tank out of suposedly my mosquito culture, but i had something in the back of my head that i just remembered:

i remember when i first encountered this hydra in breeding tank problem couple of months ago, i was filtering water thru peat and my mosquito pond was still empty so i probably wasnt even feeding it then...

now i look at another bin of aging water (i have two) on the bottom of this one i have a container with peat covered with rocks.... and i see some bloodworms developing on it.... so im thinking.....

this peat moss may have something in it...
i will skip both now, peat mossing water, and feeding mosquito larva... also, i have a pleco in there till eggs show up....

mcloughlin2
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 09:57 PM
Rytis not sure if thats possible, but its one of the most logical theories you've came up with so far... :lol: :P

I would stop the peat filtering aswell and see what happens..

One problem with your pleco as having it in the breeding tank it may suck the discus slime coat off (their in a smaller tank now and may not have room to hide)

HTH

samir
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 11:38 PM
rytis havent we been over the not keeping pleco with the breeders part already.

rytis
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 12:24 AM
rytis havent we been over the not keeping pleco with the breeders part already.
:ug no. we only argued weather pleco will eat hydras.
it's a small pleco, you think big discus will not manage to keep it off eggs for few hours till i notice and remove it? i figured anything to remove leftovers to avoid any possible hydra food in case there are any from filter...

rytis
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 12:27 AM
One problem with your pleco as having it in the breeding tank it may suck the discus slime coat off (their in a smaller tank now and may not have room to hide)

HTH
hmm. :shock:
good point here i think....

marg
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 12:43 AM
Rytis,

Bristlenose will eat eggs of your Breeding cones if given half a chance so I can't see your pleco leaving the eggs alone, no matter how small he is.

In my opinion, if you want your eggs to survive then put your breeding pair in a tank on their own - no other fish or snails or anything!!!.