PDA

View Full Version : Suspect Camallanus, Levamisole N/A

k9outfit
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 06:01 PM
I suspect a case of Camallanus in 1 of my fish, but I've phoned EVERY pet place in and around town, and no one has either the "Jungle" product that contains the stuff, or carries the "Jungle" line, period! I was also told by someone working at the LFS that Levamisole has been completely banned around here. I have a call in to my vet, but he's not in for the time being.

Is there anything else I could use???? :( So far, it's only 1 fish, and it doesn't appear bad; I'd like to keep it that way.

edited to add P.S.:
Should I continue feeding Metronidazole soaked food to at least try to prevent any secondary problems caused by the worms, 'til I get the worm issue resolved?

sammigold
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:36 AM
Hi k9outfit, As you are in canada I am not sure.. but I was researching levamisole on the Planetcatfish site as I wanted to check if Ok to use with Gibbys... Anyway alot of people are from America, Canada, England (overseas :-) ) and they were mentioning stuff ..most people were finding that they could only get it at animal produce/grain feed stores where they sell it to use as a drench for farm animals and poultry....

Maybe you can source some from a grainfeed store near you... just make sure it doesnt have glucose in it.... Just an idea... HTH

k9outfit
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 04:26 AM
I tried a few places today, but the closest I got was a vet. pharmacy that used to carry the swine & poultry dewormer that had Levamisole. They haven't been able to get it for quite some time already. :( Also, my vet said they don't use it, they use Fenbendazole (Panacur) instead. The book I have has Fenbendazole listed for some nematodes, but specifically refers to Levamisole for Camallanus. Would the Fenbendazole be as effective against it? I know that Camallanus is a tricky one to treat....

Also, would anyone know how to treat/dosage for Fenbendazole? Can it be used in the water, or is it strictly for use in food? Apparently it's in a liquid form; haven't actually picked it up yet.

sammigold
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 05:00 AM
I have heard that Fenbendazole is effective... I am sorry but I dont know anything about dosages..

My LFS looked it up in a disease book they had and the book also mentioned methylene blue at a rate of 1ml per litre... ( i have never tried that but that is an option I was given. I chose the levamisole but then I could get here in Aus. quite easily) Hope that helps...

sharn
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
i have used fenbendazole, and still have it. the dosage i got was 10ml per 10 grams of food. you dont stick it in the water. it didnt work for me personally on a heavily infested angel but i know that its worked well for others that have just had a mild infestation. i have recently been feeding all my fish food soaked in this as a preventitive (possible contamination on 2 other tanks).

i will be using levamisole for the tank that actually had worms present though.

*Chris*
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 01:26 PM
try ivlectin its used as a pig wormer usually but does the same job and is readly available from most livestock places 5ml per 200ltr of water or 1 ml per 10 grams of food .
you will probably have a bit of trouble getting the lev' and fen' at the moment whe have jim greenwood on sight at A.I and we still have trouble getting it

samir
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
there you go
http://www.canadavet.com/Worm_Enda_Poultry_Wormer.html

k9outfit
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks so much for all your help people!!!! :wave2 I feel I'm ready to tackle these parasites now!

Samir, thanks for the link. I'm pretty bad at searching for stuff on the i-net; I can find 1/2 million sites, but never related to what I'm after... Guess I'm just Google challenged. :oops: