PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get spawns past wriggler stage without being eaten

waterflash
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi all
Looking for any suggestions with the problem, I have 6 breeding pairs and they all spawn reguarly, they also eat the wrigglers just as often. I have read similar posts over the past year and followed all the advice. I do regular water changes and stop doing them once they are caring for the eggs. I also have tried reducing the food, raising the temprature, covering the tanks all with no success.

My chem is always good temp sits between 30-32, ph between 6.5 - 6.8

Any suggestions from those that are succesfully raising discus would be appreciated

Cheers

Robin

rytis
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:04 PM
im not realy an expert on breeding yet, but i suspect too much activity in breeding room? i woul put towel, and only make tank visible from one side. i think too much comotion makes them nervous and they decide to eat them "before you do"

waterflash
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks Rytis
I wasn't meaning I was doing all those things at once, this has been over the past six months. They have no interference throughout the day when I am at work and they have to put up with me syphoning out waste in the AM and a 10% water change. That is the only interuption they get besides feeding.

Cheers

Robin

waterflash
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:16 AM
Come on all you fountains of discus knowledge, I could really do with your support here. Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Cheers

Robin

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:26 AM
ok i am interested to know how high your tanks are from the floor. from personal experience the higher the tanks are the better they perform. have you tried caging the eggs?
is there on fish that eats the eggs in particular? the male?

waterflash
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
I have 9 breading pairs, so nine tanks in opperation. The bottom tanks are about 60cm of the ground then the tanks above them are 120cm of the ground. Each tank is 100ltrs. This week I have had one pair have two wrigglers actually attach to the parents. The rest they ate. How long those 2 will last, God knows.

My tank temps fluctuate throughout the day between 29 and 31
The PH in 6.5 - 6.8

I feed them a variety of food including my own beef heart mix, frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms and for the one that will take dry food tetra color bits. This makes it sound as if they are being overfeed, but I do not feed them anything they cannot consume within an hour.

Cheers
Robin

Crocky
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 08:32 AM
Just feed them tetrabit till they stop eating the wrigglers and cut6 back on w/c.

Brad