PDA

View Full Version : sponge filters

shayesmommy
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 06:10 PM
is a sponge filter an attachment for a normal filter or do you have to buy a whole new filter just with a sponge on it.
my dads fish are breeding and hes got eggs. and we want to try and get babies.(no there not discus but i need some help on them)
we would really like to get this on way soon.
he works all the time so i will most likely be doing it all for him.
i know i seen lots of sponge ones but i dont know how they work.
any advice asap would be greatly apreciated and how would we be able to get it up and running so that it is cycled for the eggs . they dont have to be removed for a few days.
but i was hoping to try keep this first batch. i love fish babies.

SirClutzz
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:43 PM
A sponge filter is a filter in its own right, not an attachment to another filter. They need an air pump to work.

If you have seen one, you should have a idea of how they look, so I won't try and draw one, basically, there is and airstone at the base of a long tube, also at that end, the out tude has perforations, and those perforations are covered with the sponge. The airstone lifts the water in the tube to the top, and this causes more water to be sucked in at the base, through the sponge.

HTH

marg
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 11:35 PM
Pretty simple and excellent filters once they are up and running.

When I buy a new one I usually put it in my Community Tank (which has a Cannister Filter on it) and let it run for a couple of weeks in order to get the bacteria up and running. I then transfer the Sponge Filter into whatever tank I am going to be using it in along with some of the water out of my Community tank and some aged water.

When you are doing a water change in the tank, siphon some water out of it and into a bucket then take the sponge off your Filter and give it a really good squeeze in the bucket of water before replacing it in the tank. Don't Flush it in tap water as you will kill the necessary bacteria that it contains.

You will be amazed at how much rubbish that one little sponge has filtered out of the tank for you!!. Continue on with your water change as usual.

Hope this helps.,

Regards,

Marg.

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 12:00 AM
yes very much. it was for my own knowledge. but i dont remember ever seeing one for sale and when i looked it up on one of oour pet stores they only had the big sponges(attatchments i think) and so i got cofused lol. maybe i was reading it wrong.
ok.
so if i do go to the store for him i will know what im doing. thanks. :)