PDA

View Full Version : Rearing wrigglers to fry stage.

RichVic
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hello all
Its day 8 since eggs were first sighted and they have survived wriggler stage. They're all on the mum tonight and feeding off her, they swim around both parents and often between the parents, usually in the same spot. behind the breeding cone. Want to get ready for the next stage and have a couple of questions.

1. If they're only fed baby brine shrimp to begin with, can I use the auto feeder? It's the Eheim one with 4 time settings that I have used for the dry tetra bits, but think there'd be a hygeine problem with that used to store bbs?? havent found a post that deals with this in depth yet. Please direct me if anyone knows of one that helps through this part.

2. Anyone use products like wardleys premium liquid food for fry - it says a couple of drops x3times a day just into the tank.

I can feed breakfast and again after 3.30 then available the rest of the day/night. Its the time between 8.30 and 3.30 I'm stressing about because its a long stretch without a feed. I can kill my lunchhour driving home and back each day if I have to. All help appreciated.

RichVic
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 02:08 AM
Well, no takers I see.
Everyone else must be home all day to feed I guess. Not to worry, I have
come home to feed lunch for the past 2 weeks and now they're a bit bigger, I have filled the auto feeder with crushed up tetra colour bits, which go into water almost as a powder. Situation handled with adaptive management techniques - lost 3 of the smallest babies, but not sure why.
HTH future newbie breeders who have to work during the day.
Cheers Vicki

k9outfit
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 02:18 PM
I could be mistaken (most likely am), but it seems to me that you can get a brine shrimp hatching contraption that once the shrimp hatch, they actually leave the contraption and exit into the main tank? :?: :?: :?: It kind of looks like a glorified, clear "P-trap" that you attach an airline to. Next time I head to the LFS I'll have a better look and confirm the sighting...

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Vicki, sorry I've missed this post. :oops:

Yes, an auto feeder is the way to go if you spend all day away from your fish. It's not suitable for live or frozen baby brine shrimp, but some crushed tetra bits (as you have done) or finely crushed flake food can be used.

Two meals in the auto feeder while you are away, would be ideal. The rest of the meals you can make "meaty" with brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and finely grated beef heart.

:P

RichVic
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks K9outfir, I am showing this to hubby, who got me one of those contraptions i think you're talking about and also purchased a new little tank to put it in !! ROFL I knew I should have read the instructions myself - I wouldn't have missed the bit about it going into the breeding tank !!

Thanks ladyred its all good now they're a bit bigger and I dont expect you, as an unpaid volunteer, running a business of your own to personally respond to each question I have, immediately! Much appreciate all your help when it is there and often try to find time to read old posts knowing you've probably dealt with a simsilar Question 50 times already! I had a couple of pm's from Crocky to tide me over.
Cheers
Vicki