PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole and Gibbiceps

sammigold
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:27 PM
Is it ok to use Levamisole with Gibbiceps... I have some babies with some guppies in the tank... and one of my guppies showed signs of cammalanus worm.. I have isolated it but am assuming I will have to dose the remaining fish in the tank to ensure that they havent caught the worm...

This is proof of the fact that quarantine cant always stop you from getting somethings... I had this guppy in quarantine for 4 weeks and it showed no signs of illness... then yesterday I noticed it acting a little strangely and saw little pinprick red thing coming from anus..

I was told that gibbeceps are probably not that susceptible to this worm... does anybody know if this is right?

thanks in advance

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:39 PM
I treated my gups ages ago....at the time I had Bristlenoses in the tank with them and to my suprise they were loaded with cammalanus.

Not sure if that help's as Gibbiceps are a far cry from the Bristlenoses...

I have no hesitation in treating any of my fish with Levamisole.

I have read of clown loaches also carrying the worm.

Someone in the UK was using Levamisole on loaches, the really badly infected ones have the concave stomachs from what I read.

Sorry to here it has crept back into your life and the lives of your fish.

Cheers,

Mark

sammigold
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 02:26 PM
I have never had these worms before and was hoping that i would be lucky enough not to... but cest la vie... I suppose we all have these things sent to try us... I have found a shop who ordered the levamisole in for me so I should have it by Friday.... the loaches being treated is a positive as they are fairly sensitive... I might check on planet catfish and see what they say...
thanks Mark....

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 02:38 PM
I have never had these worms before and was hoping that i would be lucky enough not to...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry Sammi,

I must of assumed you had come across it before, with the guppies.

Cheers,

Mark

sharn
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:31 AM
it seems the bottom dwellers are the most prone to it cause thats where the young worms fall :( i have camallanus in my tank and im going to have to attempt to pick up both BN to have a look at their little bottoms, hopefully the big boy doesnt get me :shock:

good luck in erradicating it!

sammigold
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:46 AM
thanks.... will keep updated...