PDA

View Full Version : brine shrimp alternative ?

samir
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 07:57 AM
i have just had a spawn and i'm not really expecting any fry, but just in case, is there any alternate to brine shrimp. i've previously used a combination of liquifry, powdered freeze dried tubifex, grated bloodworm,egg yolk,powdered fish food, quite sucessfully with betta fry. do i absolutely have to grow brine shrimp ? i hate doing it , and i dont want to so someone please help with some non-live alternates.

DR.V
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 07:58 AM
Crushed tetra bits ? It works for me ...

samir
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 08:05 AM
thanks doc. i'll do that as well.

aussieorchid
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:11 AM
The best way to crush the food is with a pepper grinder and grind straight into the tank. As the fish get bigger just adjust the grinder to make bigger bits.

samir
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 12:23 PM
what a simple and great idea, thanks will follow your advice.

*Chris*
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 12:52 PM
try some orca pellets higher protein content than tetra bits makes those little fish grow a hell of alot quicker and of course grind them up first
cheers chris :twisted:

samir
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:34 PM
orca ? are they the same people that make the heaters. if they are then you have made my life much simpler, thanks a ton Chris.

marg
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:51 PM
Samir,

Try Hikari Tropical Discus Pellets - they are soft and crumble up finely - they don't seem to foul the tank up either.,

Marg.

samir
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:31 PM
i've got all four fish paired up now(the blue diamonds), one pair have spawned, eggs turned white, i had to get another cone today coz the other pair were trying to break the heater, should be a quite while before i start getting wrigglers,unless everyones gay or sterile, thanks everyone for the advice.

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 08:34 AM
hey samir,
Xtreme have a new baby discus food in if you were thinking of feeding baby discus? i havnt tried it myself but apparently it is great stuff. might want to look into it!

samir
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
i'll browse through and check it out. thanks

RichVic
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:15 PM
Hey Samir
I been buying the frozen BABY Brine Shrimp $8-00 and cutting it into quarters. I use one at a time and defrost on (kitchen) paper wipes then kinda squirt it over the back of the parent with the babies. I've add Spirulina powder now and then and other times a bit of naturose powder which makes it easier to see where I'm putting the food - the babies are swarming when the DIY dispenser enters the tank! Thanks for posting this thread, I'm off to try some of the responses to your question.

Matt_Discus
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 02:34 PM
Crushed tetra bits ? It works for me ...

Have to agree with you crushed tetra bits are good use it with my cichlid fry :) :)

DiscusMad
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 02:39 PM
i use at times for diffrent types of fry boiled egg yoke and i pinch off a bit and mix it in tank water about 50-100ml and then squert it into the tank.

RichVic
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:09 AM
Egg Yolk? Thanks discus-mad, I'll try that too.

aussieorchid
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:23 AM
Be very carefully with egg yolk it fouls the water very quickly. Only feed veryy very small amounts at a time. There are some fry powders available to feed baby discus if you are serious about breeding and raising the fish away from the parents.

here is the link to the amercian supplier of one of the products.

http://www.mreed.com/fryfoods.shtml

There are similar available here in OZ like "Golden Pearls" which is available from an online OZ store PM if you want to know who or maybe ask one of the sponsor stores here. Maybe some one else might have some more info on there products as I have never used them just know they were available.

DiscusMad
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:42 PM
as I said only use a pinch in the watery mix I use a 100ml jar and only useing a small amount 10-20ml each feed. Daily water changes are a must.

Brilliant
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:04 PM
What about daphnia?

I get it in frozen form from what I think is a good company. Seems to work great for my needs.

Ben
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:08 AM
I have never been keen on feeding frozen Daphnia, it has a low nutritional value than any other live food.

I have fed live daphnia to fish such as apisto's to get them into spawning condition.

Ben

Brilliant
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 02:45 PM
Daphia saved my shoal of Cardinal tetras.

I didnt expect the fish to be soo small and I didnt have time or think to raise BBS so they got daphnia. Now they are big and fat. I also raised Endlers on daphnia.

IMHO Id rather use that then what I call grocery store food. :)

I didnt know about the nutritional value. I will have to look into that. Perhaps I will soak them in Zoe now thanks for pointing that out to me.