PDA

View Full Version : Any 1 help please!

KONA
Mon Jun 05, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Have not posted in awhile but still vote and read from time to time.
I did a huge water change yesterday, like 50%. Today my orange is not doing well. She is resting against the driftwood and wisteria breathing hard. Wouldent the other 2 Discus be in bad shape too if it was from water change?

Ph - 7.0
ammonia - 0
nitrates- 5

What should I do? Its a planted tank and I dont have a medical tank...
Should I leave her alone? Or should I do something with a bucket and salt? any ideas? she is priceless to me and have had her from a dime size and is now 6 inches. Help and thankyou friends

Kona

marg
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:58 AM
Kona,

If as you say you did a huge water change you have most likely really stressed her out.

How long since you did the water change?

Was the new water the same Temp. as the old water?

What was the PH in the old water compared to the new PH?

Waldo
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:35 AM
Sounds like thermal shock to me.

Inspiringfish
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:35 PM
Thermal shock??? Is that what Marg is questioning??

If this is the case, is it not that big of a deal?? He'll come around?? He's suseptible to infection or disease because of his stress??

Kona, I feel your pain/concern, I almost had my favorite die on me ( we call him "Hotwheels" because of his colors). He didn't die which made us very happy. I hope yours is the same out come.

marg
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:41 AM
Kona,

How is your Fish going today? Has there been any improvement?

What I was worried about Mark was that a sudden cold water change with water of a completely different PH could stress the fish out and my belief is that if a fish is badly stressed out it is then susceptible to illnesses - kinda like a child when their immune system is low - they catch all the bugs around.

Fish live in an environment containing many bacterial, fungal, viral and other pathogenic agents. The immune system of fish is able to cope with all of this usually however stress upsets this balance in favour of bacteria.

I have a friend who is a perfectly healthy specimen however, when severely stressed out he develops the skin condition known as Psoriasis. The only way to settle the Psoriasis is to get him out of whatever situation is causing him the bad stress - he then settles down. Slight stress doesn't worry him - he adjusts to it, but sudden extreme stress is a no no.

I think it works the same with our Fish and water changes. Large water changes are O.K., so long as the water has been aged well and is of a similar PH and Temperature as the water that has been removed.

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit, but that's what I think has happened to Kona's fish. I'd just watch him for a while and see how he goes, and probably give him a salt treatment - that usually perks them up if there is nothing major wrong.

Feel free to correct me if my thoughts are wrong - I am by no means an expert, I just try to use commonsense when faced with a problem (and if I can't nut it out I get on this fantastic Forum and go "Help" - there's normally someone on who is only too pleased to assist!!).

Regards,

Marg.[/code]

Inspiringfish
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:41 PM
Thank you Marg,,, Very good explanation!!! I hope this helps you also KONA.

Regarding Forum; Isn't that the truth. I am often impressed with the responses and the help on this site,,,,, Wonderful !!!

KONA
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 05:49 AM
tHANKU EVRYONE!!! MY PRIDE AND JOY HAS MOVED ON...
She did not make it and I believe it was because of my stupidity. She was getting picked on by the rest when she was laying on the floor of the tank toward the end of the day. I took her out and put her in a bucket with all the same water and parameters and I added salt. Well through the night the heater over heated and went up to 90 degrees. She was dead in the morning and I buried her. I think this is the only fish I ever buried. She was a symbol of accomplishment to me. I had her from dime size and died at about 7inches. I have been a walking zombie. Depressed and not very motivated. I hope tomorrow will be better. Thankyou friends and I will keep in tuned to the website.

Kona

jim from sydney
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 06:01 AM
Kona.....i only read your post today and am sorry tho hear of the loss.
Our little buddies mean a lot to us, but we need to realise that they have there own ways of doing things, and although we often think we know what is best for them, the reality is we are not that clever at the best of times.
Your buddy is playing happily with her friends now and i am sure she wants you to get on with looking after the ones she left beind in your care.

You have done your best.....that is all our litle friends ever want from us.

Try buy a replacement soon this will help you..Good luck

Inspiringfish
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:49 PM
Sorry for your loss KONA.

I couldn't add anything to Jims feedback. I hope what he said is comforting to you.

Waldo
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 05:17 PM
Best wishes. Rest in Peace little feller.

sammigold
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:39 AM
So very sorry to hear about your loss Kona... My heart goes out to you....

I remember Burying a goldfish many years ago that had been precious.. My brothers and sister and I had a funeral for it...It was a very sad occaision...

You should be proud of what you achieved with your beloved fish and the fact that you tried so hard to save it...