PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Flow Days

loudog
Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:10 AM
I have been trying to get this situation under control for quite a while and would like some ideas from others on this.

Here is the basic setup:

55GAL Wide aquarium
Fluval 404 all standard parts

Three Heckels 4" - 5" - 6"
Two large Amazon swords
Some large driftwood
Java Moss
Random small plants

This should be enough information to help me out. The aquarium is beautiful and everyone/thing is healthy and has been for years. The Problem that I have been having is with the filter flow. The fish will hide until I turn the filter flow off. I have been pulling my hair out wondering why the fish hide most of the time.
I noticed this not long ago when I turned the filter off to record my son making baby noises. The recordings were coming out with aquarium splashing in the background, so I decided to turn it off for a few minutes while recording him.
I went back to the aquarium to turn the filter back on and everyone was out and extremely active. They were like, "YEAH!! That stupid filter is off!!! Everybody swim around!!"
What is the best way to diffuse the output of the filter while still maintaining good flow, surface breaking and circulation? I have seen kits out there for $50.00, but they just don't seem like they would be worth it.
Any ideas? Something attractive...yet home made? I'm just looking for as many options as I can get.

Thanks all!!!!!

marg
Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:32 AM
Are you using a Spray Bar on your Filter?

Place your Spray bar on the glass at the rear of the tank and face the holes to the glass - that's how I have it in my Community tank and the Fish are out and about all the time.

Hope this helps.,

Marg.

Nathan
Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:59 AM
yea i agree i think a spray bar will fix that

loudog
Mon Jun 05, 2006, 07:09 PM
Any suggestions on what brand and/or a web link to one that I can take a look at?

marg
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:50 AM
You can make one up yourself quite cheaply.

Go to Bunnings and buy a piece of hollow pipe that will fit your outlet hose, block the end and then drill some evenly spaced holes along the length of it - then attach it to the side of your tank with some suction caps. Easy Peasy :D :D !!.

Regards,

Marg.

FishLover
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:20 AM
Not sure where you are located. In US, do a web search and it will find the spray bar for Fluval 404

loudog
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 03:53 PM
As a matter of fact... I just installed the Fluval spray bar. I ended up drilling the holes out to 5/32 because it still seemed a bit aggressive and the filter was definitely working hard. Drilling these holes made the filter much quieter because it eliminated the back pressure.
Since the spray bar comes in two sections, I configured it with one facing up and breaking the surface and the other facing the glass. Within 15 minutes the fish are all out and look to be much happier.
Such a simple thing, I am surprised that it took so long to figure this out.....

Waldo
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
hoorah.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 12:42 AM
hey loudog,

glad your fish are out now, are your discus wilds?

loudog
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 10:32 PM
All wild but one... I have a Blue Diamond in there that holds his own. They seem to be out much more to date, although if you give them a hiding place, they will use it. I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance. My wife is on vacation and has the camera.

Thanks again.