PDA

View Full Version : Hydra, the baby killer and plecos....

rytis
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 12:46 AM
i want to ask a question: if people say that plecos don't eat Hydras, then how come out of 4 tanks, 3 that do have plecos i cant find any hydras, and the breeding tank that does not, is full of hydras?

hydras live in my mosquitodaphnia pond outside sometimes outnumbering daphnia (lol) and i feed that stuff to all aquariums....

samir
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 12:48 AM
so thats where your hydra is coming from

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 01:31 AM
rytis dont you think that if you have parasites in your cultivation pond that you would STOP FEEDING THEM TO YOUR FISH!!!! do you think about what you are writing? honestly bro how can you post up some of the stuff you do and the source is sitting right under your nose!

hydras probably are in your other tanks you just havnt noticed them. do your other tanks have plants? they hide under objects etc.

taksan
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 01:55 AM
i want to ask a question: if people say that plecos don't eat Hydras, then how come out of 4 tanks, 3 that do have plecos i cant find any hydras, and the breeding tank that does not, is full of hydras?

hydras live in my mosquitodaphnia pond outside sometimes outnumbering daphnia (lol) and i feed that stuff to all aquariums....

So your knowingly feeding your fish from a corrupted culture?
I thought you were a "advanced aquarist" ?
I'd call that advanced stupidity
And for the 100th time Plecos do NOT EAT HYDRA !!!!!!

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 02:15 AM
taksan mayb rytis has a new breed of pleco called 'black pleco' which eat hydra?

rytis
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 03:04 AM
hydras probably are in your other tanks you just havnt noticed them. do your other tanks have plants? yea thats another thing that these 3 tanks have that breeding tank dont have: lots of plants...

i looked carefuly on the glass though... didnt see...

i just cant believe there isnt a simpler way to get rid of these hydras from tanks, i figured real experts may have some suggestions, but nuking the tank the filter and all, seems like such a headache, because i have a feeling they will just reapear in my outsede pond in no time again...

but maybe if i can just reduce the numbers for that beginning stage it would be enough?

but anyway, you guys texan pigeon sound rude, dont know why...reminds me of our president bush (he's from texas also)

Dee
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 03:48 AM
Hello All,

Rytis, the advisors and forum members have given you some pretty solid advice in regards to eliminating Hydra from your tanks. Hydra is a nasty little parasite and is not easily eliminated, personally I would just bite the bullet and "nuke" your breeding tank and be done with it, there is IMO no easy path to take.

"i figured real experts may have some suggestions"

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what has been happening ? you may want to try and do the "easy" thing, but you will find you won't solve your problem ... kinda like chasing your tail. Just nuke the tank and STOP feeding from your contaminated pond ... sounds pretty simple to me ? The choice is yours mate :)

In regard to some of the responses from Advisors on the forum to this post and others, I personally think there is no need to antagonize and ridicule Rytis with smart @ss reply's and sarcasm. I personally don't see any advantage to teasing the guy ... especially from "advisors".

If he (rytis) thinks he knows better, leave him be and let him do what he wants. If he feels he is a "Advanced Aquariast" so be it, he will find out the hard way when dealing with hydra and will continue to have issues with future spawns.

There's my 2cents from my moral soap box :P

Cheers,

Dee :)

Cuong
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 03:55 AM
Well put, Dee :!: There's no point antagonising or need for condescension, if he decides to ignore the suggestions put forward. It's his decision and he has every right to it, no matter the outcome.

rytis
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 03:59 AM
thx both, nice to be back to normal :)

samir
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 05:05 AM
rytis your "mosquitodaphnia pond" is the first one that needs to be nuked and never started again, you are bringing theproblems upon yourself. there are many dry foods available that are excellent for discus. try ladyred's beefheart recipe(my fish love it) and alternate that with a quality granule for discus. you can also try a good brand of frozen bloodworms. dont complicate things for yourself.

taksan
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 05:06 AM
[quote=goldenpigeon]i just cant believe there isnt a simpler way to get rid of these hydras from tanks, i figured real experts may have some suggestions, but nuking the tank the filter and all, seems like such a headache, because i have a feeling they will just reapear in my outsede pond in no time again...

Well there isn't a easier way so eirther follow the advice you have been given or stop posting about it
One more Thread about this and I am deleting it. As for this thread it serves no purpose and only repeats what you have been told in other threads so I'm locking it.