PDA

View Full Version : PH Dropping Rapidly

ashley
Sat Jun 03, 2006, 10:48 PM
Hi Guys
Has anyone got an idea on why after a water change my PH sits at 6.4 for a day and before the next water change I test and it's back to 6.0.

I know that Discus are happy in this range but Im afraid that if I leave my water changes for too long the PH will drop to a dangerous level.

With 4 juvi's and 1 large Discus, I'm feeding often, and so I guess that may cause PH to drop, my water changes are 15% every second day.

Could there be something in my tank that is causing this rapid drop?
Rocks, Wood etc.

The rocks I have are large river rocks, the wood I believe is some kind of eucalipt, but it is very old and has probably been dorment for many years.
I was a bit hesitent about useing this wood but gave it a go anyway, I can only think that this is what is causing this drop. The fish are happy, and are eating well.

All water parameters are ok
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 0-5.0
Ph between 6.0 - 6.4

I have lost a couple of Apple snails, and a couple of SAEs, but I think this was a result of useing Algae fix. Can Algae fix cause the death of these 2?

Hoping that someone can help with my delema

Ashley

Liverpool_pete
Sat Jun 03, 2006, 11:56 PM
Ashley

Do you have a picture of the tank?

What sort of gravel are you using and secondly have you been using a gravel vac.

I think some gravel can change the PH and also if you are not cleaning the gravel it may too alter the ph.

The only other thing is are you using any chemicals to lower your water in your storage barrel before you do a water change??

HTH

Peter

Proteus
Sat Jun 03, 2006, 11:58 PM
What is your KH?

Low Carbonate Hardness would probably be the issue here.

Coral bone, limestone is what I use to keep my KH & pH stable

ashley
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 06:40 AM
Hi Peter and Proteus,

Im useing pool filter sand as substrate, and I vac once a week during one of my water changes. I dont use a storage barrel, water comes straight out of the tap into the tank with water conditioner added.

KH sits at around 3, but sometimes is a little lower.

Any comments on the wood I'm useing. I still believe that it could be the problem.

I may try some coral as sugested by Proteus, do you just put it in a bag and place it in the tank? And how much? A hand full.

Peter you can see my tank in my album.

All the best Ashley :)

endless
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 09:19 AM
You need to put the coral in a cannister or somewhere with constant water flow otherwise it wont do much in stabalizing ur ph

Waldo
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 05:58 PM
Here in spokane we have a fluctating params. Our water comes from an aquifer in the fall and winter it's 7.0 and spring and summer it's about 8.0. you'll never know when it happens and it will happen in a week.