PDA

View Full Version : Please rate my pair

Brilliant
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:16 AM
OK I have a spawning pair of Discus. After reading a bit about the fish I just wanted to get an idea of what others think about the fish.

Please honest comments, say what you mean. Cmon you can be honest I live on the other side of the planet :wink:

Sorry for the blurry pics...If you need something better let me know. The one shot should show a nice side view, then the closeup of the spawn shows the males head pretty well....because it looks lumpy in the other photo for some reason.

Personally, I think they are marvelous. The colors are insane and they appear to have that high fin build. But then again these are my own fish and thats why I am here.

Nathan
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:46 AM
mate those two discus are beautiful you should be really happy with that u really should be!

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:16 AM
very lovely fish

mcloughlin2
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 05:58 AM
They do not have very good colour or bodyshape..

They look like culls to me IMO.

Just kidding mate..

They look like a very nice pair of discus...
Have great colour and are a high body discus in my opinion..

They dont have the roundest body shape, but they might be still young and growing...

Regardless, you love them and thats all that matters... :D

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:49 PM
you better hope he wasnt lazy and only read the first part then went out chopping. lol
or banging.

Brilliant
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hey actually I was just saying two out of three isnt bad. LOL! I didnt even notice the rest of the post and I was lazy...then I was like whats this at the bottom and saw shayesmommy's post. LMAO!!!

Sheesh I was saying to myself well well well...back to the board...I thought I knew a little about the shape and so on...WHEW!!!

Well, they are extremely young. I cant even believe they are spawning. I have a pic of them when they were new, and also a runt.....I cant really gauge how much they grew until I look at the pic or compare against the runt. Runts dont shrink do they? LOL

But yes these guys are very small still. The pic stinks, I have a new camera but now they hide from me because I relocated the other Discus. I actually call the male Spiderman...I look at him and think of Spiderman...he is actually looks more blue at times...was sold to me as Red Turquoise.

Thank you for the comments. I am not experienced with breeding nor do I have the time. I just wanted an idea. I may choose to devote time now. I am learning more everyday and tonight I will be attending a meeting with Jack Wattley!!!

I love this forum and I plan to keep in touch.

Thanks again mates!!!

shayesmommy
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:01 PM
lol
i thought it was funny.
they are nice. i like them
goodluck with everything

chrissyoscar
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 11:47 PM
I like them, very nice discus indeed.

Brilliant
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 03:23 AM
Thank you again.

Can anyone suggest a good way to measure fish in the tank?

I have a pretty good idea how old they are now and would only like to breed a large fish. From what Ive been told if they are 4 inches I am good to go.

LMAO I am soo desperate to know exactly how large they are...I just measured my camera lense and its three inches and they are larger then that so I have a really good feeling. One breeder I met tonight said he wouldnt breed them because I told them they were three inches. I felt under estimating was better then over estimating and I almost wanted to run over to him at the end of the night and say WAIT A MINUTE I MEANT 4 INCHES!! LOL

rytis
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 04:33 AM
Please honest comments, say what you mean
i would say a 9 if not 10, not that i'm impressed, the rest is how your aquarium looks.... and then your house.... :)

i have had these 5 angels in an ugly tank for a while and wanted to give them away, then i set up my tank correctly/nicely and wow, they look so right in there....

shayesmommy
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 04:34 AM
well i get a small thin ruler and try to get them to come up to the glass. as close as possible.
or you could even tape it there and wait for it to do it itself
good luck. they are really wonderful.
let us know how big they are .
:)

Brilliant
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 05:11 AM
Shayes, Now that I had the measuring tape in my hand I am measuring everything. Practically every fish I have. The Discus are sleeping now and I accidentally woke them up taping the tape on the glass. They are soo neat they sleep in the middle of the tank....they look as if suspended in air hanging slightly veritcal. I did measure a Silver Dollar I have in my community tank and they are three inches.....even my smallest Discus dwarfs the largest of the Silver Dollars. Fish are bigger then I thought. I will try out your idea.

I purchased these Discus at three inches three months ago. So me saying three inches was pretty dumb. They have grown, the picture on my site with the entire school of them is from day 2. While your looking at my pics, the runt is the one by the driftwood, you can kinda see him in the back of the "feeding time" shot.

shayesmommy
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 05:25 AM
thats just how we measure our fish here. lol
all i see is the two up top? am i confused probably as i usually am?
or is there somewhere else to find pictures of your fish and tank?

Brilliant
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:14 PM
Sorry I thought it was connected to my user ID.

Please hold the comments about the "Brilliant Blues"....LOL...

Ben
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 01:49 PM
Take some better pics if you can because from the photo i can see they look stunning!

Brilliant
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 02:05 PM
Here is one of the parents...the male.

I will try to get better pics from the front and sides.

nicholas76
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 02:14 PM
Lovely fish you got there!

You should have entered those in the Photo competition!

shayesmommy
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 05:20 PM
im jealous.
lol
i can only hope my fish turn out that nice with those beautiful colors.
thanks for sharing.

Brilliant
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 06:39 PM
Nicholas,
Thank you!!!
The good photo isnt mine, its the breeders.

I am overjoyed that my fish are liked here. I cant express how happy it makes me feel to read all of this.

Shayes, its a shame you dont live in Montreal. I can see myself breeding this pair. I would take a day trip up there to sight see with the wife one day or another.

Speaking of the wife...

Rytis, I didnt take much notice to the compliments on the house...Thank you...I will pass those compliments onto the wife...she will get a kick out of that.

shayesmommy
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:31 PM
well i would take some off your hands if you ever do/ :)

Brilliant
Mon Jun 05, 2006, 02:31 PM
One of my fish jumped out of the tank. Well I did measure this fish while he was out and it was 5.25 inches. Thats my biggest Discus. I am estimating the male of my pair at 4 inches. I talked to the breeder again and he said its really early for them to spawn. I will try to get a better estimate on age.

Rytis, I was actually wondering what you meant about the house....then someone said ohh your cat pictures....thats what I thought u were refering to. I dont know about fish yet but the tank looks terrific.

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:31 AM
i don't see nothing wrong with developing a dwarf discus more suitable for aquariums, my girlfriend is not even 5', but she's the most beautiful then many of the big fat chicks...

For the most part this site reads like a well written book.

Many members contribute a lot of time and effort in the quest to make this forum a valuable resource for those wanting to keep and breed the king of the freshwater aquarium.

There are many forum's on the net where people go off on tangents and throw insults at each other....problem is, whilst there may be some good info they are unreadable for all the stupid comments and BS, between all the good information.

I find your comments on politics, fish and women to be objectionable to say the least.

May I suggest you put a self imposed ban on yourself ( that is take a break from posting for a while ). Read through the forum so you can get an idea of what this site is all about.

Or perhaps start a blog so those that choose to can visit it independently from this forum.

Actually I suspect you are trying to stir the sh*t for some strange reason, should that be the case, it won't be long before your motive is exposed...

It really is not for me to comment, but alas I could not help myself.

Your comments rytis are not in keeping with this forum at all.

You are denigrating this forum and thus insulting all of the members on it IMO.

Cheers,

Mark

marg
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:12 AM
I have a feeling that this topic is going to be locked soon. Don't know why, I'm just getting this weird buzz. It's sort of like watching two Football teams on the field just before a Punch up - little digs over a period of time then whammo, it's on - and that is not what this site is about. How are we going to learn anything about our Fish and how can we help one another if everyone just sits around trading insults?.

I'm not critisizing Rytis - I did sit back and watch that other thread until the Powers that be locked it (and rightfully so), and I'm glad they did - it was getting pretty childish. Please don't let this one get that way.

C'mon guys, settle down. if you can't say something constructive or nice just zip your lips :evil: !!!.

NOW back to the subject of this thread - Brilliant you wanted your pair rated - I personally think they are very nice :) :) .

Regards,

Marg.

rytis
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:41 AM
i have a feeling i will get banned sooner, but i have no idea for what lol..,

Dee
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:04 AM
i dont get it what is it with you people, why you're all bashing me for something this ridiculous as suggesting a dwarf discus?

Rytis,

Mate, I think you have totally missed Mark's point ! I think he's post was in relation to your "fat chicks" comments and it's general irrelevence, nothing to do with your dwarf discus comments.

The point is that you rarely, if ever, offer any relevent info/advice and often include your personal, political, religious ideas/views, which I think many including myself find totally pointless.

You are not being "bashed" as you say. Maybe if you offered some relevent info or input to the forum and it's member's you may find that things will chill out, relax and enjoy the forum. I personally am not interested in your personal beliefs nor your "metaphors", I would never thrust mine on to you and would appreciate you doing the same ... simple.

Now, sorry Brilliant to go off topic ! :oops: They are some very nice fish you have and I would be very proud of them mate. top work !

Cheers,

Dee.

taksan
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 05:30 AM
i have a feeling i will get banned sooner, but i have no idea for what lol..,

Its precisely because you have no idea why that your going to get banned soon if you keep this up.

marg
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 09:43 AM
I've got a feeling that it won't worry him Taksan, going by what I have read of his Posts.

rytis wrote:

"i have a feeling i will get banned sooner, but i have no idea for what lol..,"

If I had a feeling I was going to be banned I would be concerned, I wouldn't "lol".

Sorry Rytis but I think you are begging to be banned - instead of bagging everything everyone says, why don't you try to get along with us all. We really are a good bunch of people and arguing (especially over silly things) and being insensitive to others' feelings is not what we are about!!

Regards,

Marg.

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:20 PM
Well said Marg. This is such a lovely friendly forum, let's all work to keep it that way.

Okay folks, back to the topic.

Brilliant, they are a lovely pair of fish. Well done.

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:41 PM
Now, sorry Brilliant to go off topic ! :oops: They are some very nice fish you have and I would be very proud of them mate. top work !

Same go's for me.

Cheers,

Mark

Brilliant
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 06:16 PM
HOLY COW!!!

I didnt start this did I?

I measured the fish a bit better. The female is 4 inches and the male is pressing 4.5-5 inches!!! He is a goliath!!

The breeder told me ..."man they are doing it early arent they". I dont know much about them yet (of course I acted like I did and said yeah your right). I was told they spawn at 8 months so I estimated them at 8-10 months last month but now what the breeder says these fish arent that old. More like 8 months right now.

What is the largest size Discus? How long does it take them to grow?
I was told they max out after 1 year (I think thats wrong)

I am not really looking to breed these fish if they are small. I recently put the other turqs back into the tank with the pair. Things are much better and getting better as the days go by. The reason I put the fish back in with the pair is because LadyRed suggested it to get the personalities back...and I also want them to eat like pigs from my hand, like they did before.

Thank you for all the comments mates!. I think this is really cool and this made a big decision a little bit easier. I am truely concerned about the breed and the hobby.