PDA

View Full Version : WHY ARE BABIES ON THE BOTTOM???

rytis
Wed May 31, 2006, 08:32 PM
6 days after eggs layed, about 10-12 babies are left energetically swimming near bottom most time, only occasionally sticking tofather (light color mother is out)

deaths seem to have stopped, holding steady at that number, but if they dont get up onto dad, im afraid they may be gone soon... bottom is clear...

rytis
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 02:32 AM
and another question: its almost 7 days since eggs were layed, about 10 fry left alive for the past day or so, but only occasionaly 1 or 2 are clinging to parent, most of the time they just swim around, is it normal after 7 days eggs were layed (cant figure when its called they start swimming) or is there something wrong?
i will find out anyway, but just anxious to know...

mcloughlin2
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 05:35 AM
I think you are worrying way to much... :lol: :lol: :lol:

From what you have wrote, you have taken the mum out?
:?

Not the smartest thing to do mate...she is a yellow but fry will still attach to her and now it may wreck the pair... :shock:

Also this is only the 2nd time this pair have attempted raising the babies in their own tank right?

They ar most probably figuring things out...

RichVic
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:44 AM
Hi all, I'm a total newbie, in day 7 of my first batch of wrigglers.

I just want to add, that I have noticed that they do a great job guarding the babies in pairs and when one has had enough of the kids they seem to sort of park side by side and do a wriggle which throws the babies off one parent and onto the other. Also noticed both parents were chasing babies & bringing them back to the breeding cone (in thier mouth) So any coloured mother is still very useful and much needed. I think the babies can get even damage the parents skin (during the slimecoat eating phase) so two would be better
for that as well. HTH Vicki