PDA

View Full Version : eheim jagar heaters, comments an feedback please

Nathan
Tue May 30, 2006, 07:15 AM
hey guys im thinkn of buying one of these heaters but was wondering if anyone has used this type before and if they keep a good constant 30 c heat? any comments would be great

Proteus
Tue May 30, 2006, 01:08 PM
After gradually converting my 10-12 glass heaters of various brands to Jagers I wouldnt go back.

Aside from the reliability, I like the fact that over time you can recalibrate them which is not possible on any other heater I know of.

wild_amazon
Tue May 30, 2006, 01:59 PM
Do you think it's more efficient than other heaters (heats up water with less electricity). I think that is what they claim?
It operates with electronic components doesn't it? All my heaters still have bi-metals, maybe time to get an electronic one.
By the way, why it needs to be calibrated since it has temp. control?

Proteus
Tue May 30, 2006, 10:54 PM
Over time the thermostat may degrade slightly (I am talking years) so the ability to be able to calibrate it is a benefit.

In regards to efficiency, a lot of this has to do with the sheer size of these units, they are not small, which provides a good heating surface area. (a 300w Jager is almost twice the length of a AquaOne 300w heater).

jho51e
Wed May 31, 2006, 01:17 AM
I have 2 of the 300w Jager heaters (for a 6x2x2 tank) and could not be happier...

when i filled my tank with cold water, it took a day to heat up the entire tank to 26C... mind you, the initial temp of the water was around 18C...

chrissyoscar
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:04 AM
I read somewhere that electronic heaters can't fail in the on position so if it's true that's a big bonus as you wont cook your fish if the heater plays up.
I have 2 jagers a 200w and a 300w. I did notice that both have condensation on the inside and my 200w failed after about 18mths.
I tend to think that I was unlucky with the 200w as all the feedback about these units is so pssitive.
Also these heaters come with a 3year warranty so if it does fail and you still have the receipt it'll be replaced.

k9outfit
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:46 AM
I read somewhere that electronic heaters can't fail in the on position so if it's true that's a big bonus as you wont cook your fish if the heater plays up.
Well, theoretically I guess they can't, but mine did, and it did cook 1 fish. The others were a bit worse for wear for a few days but did recover.

I've been setting up a fish room of sorts lately, and bought around 20 Jaeger heaters. Had to return 6 of them so far, due to some form of malfunction or other. Only 1 stuck on, but I had 3 that would fluctuate up to 4 degrees F., and I had 1 that wouldn't heat past 82 F (27.8 C) even after having been recalibrated (cranked up considerably each time) 3 times. Another one just up and quit after ~16 hours. I still wouldn't use any other brand, but I do keep a thermometer in the tank for days, and re-check ever few days to make sure everything's still as it should be.

samir
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:33 AM
you might want to look into using an electronic thermostat. i used a betta electric thermostat for a diy incubator for quail and it was accurate to .3 fahrenheit and gave me 95% hatch rates,which even the $5000 incubators do not give. it cost me about 200(just the thermostat). i haven't gotten around to setting it up in my aquarium yet, but i'm quite positive that with decent circulation it will beat any aquarium heater on the market for accuracy. www.tobins.com.au has tons of different thermostats.they have a complicated website, and if you goand aske them for one to heat your aquarium,they will look at you like you're crazy :lol: so you'll have to some googling to decide which one is best.

Ben
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 02:32 PM
I did notice that both have condensation on the inside and my 200w failed after about 18mths.

I have the same problem, mine has signs of condensation.

anyone else notice this and does it cause any problems?

Proteus
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:47 PM
I have noticed condensation in winter on my Jagers for a few years, however I have never had one fail yet.

TeeFM
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:53 PM
I agree. I had my Jagers heater for more than one year now. I have always noted condensation, especially in winter. Despite that, the water temperature is constant and I've never had a problem with this heater. I cant be happier with it.