PDA

View Full Version : quietest air pump?

vince
Mon May 29, 2006, 11:52 PM
hey, guys:

My discus seem to gasp during the night. I am thinking about get an air pump. But my tank is in my bed room. So which brand would you guys recommend to be the quitest?

many thanx

samir
Tue May 30, 2006, 12:33 AM
i asked the same question a few weeks ago and the eheim seemed to be number 1 followed by stellar. both are available from aquarium products wholesale. :)

Nathan
Tue May 30, 2006, 12:55 AM
i think the problem youl find vince is not the noise of the pump but the noise of the bubbles they can get pretty noisy when theres no background noise, but mind you im a really bad sleeper so you may be able to put up with it

vince
Tue May 30, 2006, 05:26 AM
Thanx guys:

I have also seen a Hydor one that has this kind of submersible design. I am not sure if that could work?

Here is an link:

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1006.htm

many thx

marg
Tue May 30, 2006, 06:05 AM
Vince,

I am gradually replacing all my old Air Pumps with Stellars - they are reasonably priced and do a good job, however if you are interested in the Hydor why don't you give Ben at AOA a ring? He is a teriffic person to talk to you and he certainly knows his products. I'm sure he'll steer you in the right direction.

Regards,

Marg.

Merrilyn
Tue May 30, 2006, 11:16 AM
I've got two of these Vince. The Hydor is a great little airpump, but it works best in shallow tanks, as per the specifications:-

Specs

3.5 watts
upto 60 lph
suggested depth 25cm
suitable for up to 60 litres

HTH

Proteus
Tue May 30, 2006, 01:09 PM
Personally I am a big fan of the Eheim air pumps, powerful and quiet.

vince
Tue May 30, 2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys...

My tank is small anyway.(3 foot x 18'' x 20'')

I will go for the hydor

vince

Proteus
Wed May 31, 2006, 05:19 AM
Another minor thing to factor into a decision, (not that it is a major issue) is the warranty. Eheims have 3 years, Hydor I think is 6 mths to 1 yr, Steller I think is 1-2 yrs...

Diamond
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 01:20 PM
Why dont't APW stock Hydor?

Proteus
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 11:12 PM
I believe the supplier of Hydor is only a very small company over here and lacks the added services that the major suppliers have (warranty, service etc etc).

Other than that it wouldnt make sense to carry every brand, imagine the inventory you would have to carry.