PDA

View Full Version : ????

shayesmommy
Sun May 21, 2006, 08:12 PM
i ended up buying some discus when i went to edmonton yesterday. i got four 3 inch ones.
1- is a blue snakesking
2- are red turqouis
1 is a melbro red they say. but i think it might be something slightly different.
if you have any ideas let me know.
I just thought i would show them off.
very excited to finally be a discus owner. i will post more pictures if i can get any better ones.
They did very well in joining. my dad turned the lights on and they were fine. they came up to the tank to see me when they first got in there.
Noones hiding. and everyone is eating well and very friendly and happy.
The one we call big red he/she is a attention wanter and is always trying to get attention one way or another.

Merrilyn
Mon May 22, 2006, 03:47 AM
Welcome to the ranks of discus owners. Your fish look very happy in that lovely tank.

Can't wait to see some more photos.

jim from sydney
Mon May 22, 2006, 04:16 AM
Great tank and nice plants.......what size tank is it and how many other fish are in it?????keep the pics coming......good luck with the new ones :angel

shayesmommy
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:02 AM
right now . we have four discus, 4 dwarf gouramis and a ram.
its an 80 gallon fully planted tank. still waiting for it to grow some more.
we also ordered 6 more the same size.
should be here sometime this week. hope it all goes well.
im surprised they are all doing so well, i really expected problems as it is my first discus tank. but it all is doing real well. I made sure everything was perfect and did alot of research before i even considered buying any. so im glad.
Here are a few better pictures of them all but still blurry.

Merrilyn
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:06 AM
Your orange/red one is called a Marlboro Red. The colour will intensify as the fish matures.

Lovely looking tank. Well done.

Just keep checking your water parameters, particularly ammonia, nitrite and pH.

Any problems, let us know immediately.

Good luck.

jim from sydney
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:07 AM
agreed...................planning is critical......always pays....well done..... thanks for the latest pics

shayesmommy
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:11 AM
ok i wasnt sure. there are to many variations and none of them said that except the store.
And they are very friendly and fun. they all come to the front of the tank to visit even when we first put them in.
and the lights were off i would just sit there and they would come look for me. and watch. THey were shy for about a half hour when they got a bit of a scare and now they come and go when they please and dont hide at all when u come to the tank.

shayesmommy
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:18 AM
and we arent even really able to tell which one is our snakeskin yet. we are thinking it is the more blueish one.
not to sure because the all three look the all the same besides spots and size.

Merrilyn
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:25 AM
Well, a snakeskin has more than 9 bars. Usually around 14 vertical bars. Hard to tell from the photos, but I think I can count more than 9 bars on one of your fish.

shayesmommy
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:39 AM
ok you have a better eye. If you look at the last picture i posted and judged could you guess for me. top middle bottom which one it would be. Thanks. im counting the vertical bars but still not 100% sure.
Thanks lady red for all your help

samir
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:45 AM
they look like three turks to me.

Merrilyn
Mon May 22, 2006, 05:51 AM
Nine bars will make them a turquoise, but the one with red spots is very interesting. Can you get a full side on shot of that one. I think you may have a Red Spotted Green.

shayesmommy
Mon May 22, 2006, 06:07 AM
yup. i will post as good of picture as i can get of all three of them tomorrow by themselves. hopefully that will help determin what is what.
thanks again.

samir
Mon May 22, 2006, 06:15 AM
ive got one similar to that, on one of my juv turks(my smallest one about 8cm) the spots appeared over the last month. i haven't seen any stress bars for ages. your fish look nice and healthy and no they are not seeking attention, they only want what's in your freezer. my fish would gladly exchange me for a cube of frozen bloodworms. :D

shayesmommy
Tue May 23, 2006, 01:37 AM
heres some pictures . be aware there is alot. and hopefully we can determin which of the three is exactly which.
i named the med, small and spotted.
thanks

shayesmommy
Tue May 23, 2006, 01:40 AM
a few more

shayesmommy
Tue May 23, 2006, 01:42 AM
ok and i just had to post one of the spotted and the small one being friends.

Merrilyn
Tue May 23, 2006, 04:53 AM
Your spotted one could well pass for a Red Spotted Green. The spots are quite clear, and the rest of the finnage seems to have a green tinge, rather than blue. So let's call him a Red Spotted Green.

The other two are turquoise. One looks like a red turquoise, and the other a blue turquoise.

Nice choice of fish.

Good luck with them.

shayesmommy
Tue May 23, 2006, 04:58 AM
well yah that would be fine if i didnt spend 50 extra canadian dollars for a snake skin.
stupid people at the fish store. maybe i will call them up and say something.
because i really dont see a snakeskin either. and i couldnt tell until i got them home and they lightened up.
Thanks red

shayesmommy
Tue May 23, 2006, 05:11 AM
ok i read up on them some more. and i love him either way and apparently he is worth more then snakeskins anyways.
i will just have to purchase a snake skin another time.

nicholas76
Tue May 23, 2006, 05:22 AM
Hi Shayesmommy

The fish you have selected will develop into very pretty fish indeed.

heaps of food , a good w/c routine will always result in big healthy and happy discus!

Can wait for update pictures!

samir
Tue May 23, 2006, 05:46 AM
here's a photo of nathan's snakeskin pinched off the forum, for your reference. notice the bars.

Waldo
Tue May 23, 2006, 05:00 PM
Those are nice fish. Do you know where the stock came from?

shayesmommy
Tue May 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
have no idea.
i got them from big als in edmonton.
i didnt even think to ask.