PDA

View Full Version : a little lost

downandout
Sat May 20, 2006, 11:39 PM
firstly Guys great info and help on the forum here Thank you all for putting the time and effort in for us new to breeding..
I have a breeding pair ( been paired 12 months and laying) just put them into a 2 foot tank on thier own been two weeks and two lots of eggs first on the heater , second on a pot .
Now at this stage my eggs are at 36 hours and they have starting falling off the pot to the saucer below , Is this right ?
The eggs look still intact on the sauce the female looks to be trying to keep the remaining eggs up by catching them and blowing them back onto the pot ..

Also i am a little lost on this 24/7 light thing . Am i to buy a cheap lamp and leave it on for the next few weeks ( if all is ok still) and leave the main tank light unplugged?

mcloughlin2
Sun May 21, 2006, 01:16 AM
Yes that sounds normal to me ... :wink: ..Some eggs fall and its the parents job to try and get the back onto the pot...

The 24/7 lighting is used only when the fry are free swimming so they can find their parents easier... :D

downandout
Sun May 21, 2006, 01:38 AM
Thank you for putting my mind at ease :)

Merrilyn
Thu May 25, 2006, 03:45 AM
Hi Downandout, and a very warm welcome to the forum. How did your eggs turn out.

Did you get any wrigglers.

It's pretty normal for parents to have a few failed attempts before they finally raise a batch of fry, so if they failed this time, don't be too concerned. They'll soon lay again, and in the not too distant future you'll have a tank full of fry.

downandout
Thu May 25, 2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome Ladyred , no wrigglers which was to be expected they have been laying eggs for the last 12 months . but this was the first batch i knew to be good as such . Anyway today i brought a wool corner filter so when they lay the next lot of eggs i can turn the main filter off and slow the water flow down might help them a little. I don't think a week or 2 on a corner filter will hurt them ( if i am wrong please tell me ) .
Here are some pics of the pair i have .. The female is a little fuzzy i will try for a better one tomorrow..

Nathan
Thu May 25, 2006, 11:06 AM
wow they are beautiful fish mate

downandout
Sun May 28, 2006, 03:31 AM
Thanks Nathan , well they are at it agian .More eggs hopefully by Monday night we will have some wrigglers.

I will keep you posted

downandout
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 03:58 PM
Woot i got wriggles .. only 12 but hey it is a start
how long does it take before they will attached to the parents ?

Crocky
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:22 PM
Well done

Your got 50/50 chance they may eat them,if there got less then 20 odd wrigglers.So if they don't attach and they wat them don,t worry.if they hatched say Sunday afternoon you should see some swimming by tomorrow night and hpoefully they should have attached by wednesday night.

Brad

Crocky
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:23 PM
Well done

Your got 50/50 chance they may eat them,if there got less then 20 odd wrigglers.So if they don't attach and they wat them don,t worry.if they hatched say Sunday afternoon you should see some swimming by tomorrow night and hpoefully they should have attached by wednesday night.

Brad

downandout
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 02:07 PM
Update:
out of the first batch 6 made it to free swimming one survived for 2 1/2 weeks before been eaten, mean while they layed agian this time only one made it to wriggler stage :( .. but today i had a nice suprise 3rd lots of eggs 3 days ago and now 40 plus wrigglers woot :) . if they survive i will post up some pics

downandout
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:57 AM
:( all eaten today while at work .. but more eggs on cone agian what could be causing them to spawn so quickly .. i am doing small w/c every second day 10 % could this be doing it ???

samir
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:09 PM
could you post a picture of youre entire tank and tell me what filter you have and where

downandout
Fri Jun 30, 2006, 06:25 AM
I moved things around today but sure i will get one later tonight and post it up , thanks in advance

downandout
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 12:35 AM
here is the new setup..