PDA

View Full Version : Feeding.

chrissyoscar
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 01:43 AM
I'm just curious to how much you guys and girls feed your discus.
How many discus would either one cude of frozen beefheart of worms feed.
Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm overfeeding or underfeeding so it'll be good to get other peoples ideas on what amounts they give.

Oscar

weird
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 02:01 AM
I have four discus, and they can easily eat 7-8 brine shrimp frozen cubes in a day. I feed 1-2 in the morning, and the remaining spread over the night.

I think the best way to determine the right amount, is if they finish their food. Keep in mind, the more you feed, the more waste is likely to be produced from their poo and left overs.

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 02:35 AM
Hi Oscar - because I feed 4 to 6 times a day I tend to feed small amounts. For instance a full grown breeding pair would get a block of bloodworms cut into 6 or a block of beefheart cut into 8 ( one fraction at each feeing), plus at least 2 of those meals will be tetra bits or some other dry food. Young fish are fed more heavily as in 4 youngsters would get that quantity but fed 6 times a day. Sometimes they eat it all and sometimes they don't, and then I vacuum the leftovers after half an hour. I have always overfed but then I compensate with heavy (50%) daily water changes, so that they go to bed in clean water. The beefheart is my own mixture containing banana, peas, tiger prawns, garlic, cooked carrott and vitamins held together with gelatine. I'm sure others will have different ideas, but this seems to work for me. When I was away all day at work they were fed 3 times a day. First feed tetra bits then beefheart mix at 6pm and worms at 9 pm. Lights out at 10.30 after their water-change.

chrissyoscar
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks Weird73 and Ladyred.

I normally feed mine 3 times a day. I normally mix it up but for example the first feed might be 1/2 teaspoon of tetra bits or brine flakes, second feed might be 1 cube of blood worms and the 3rd feed would be 1 cube of beefheart. I'll feed the same amount to both my pairs.
To the other 4 I have I give the same except I give extra tetra bits and or brine flakes.

Oscar

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 10:26 AM
That sounds like a good routine to me. If your fish are growing well and always eager to be fed then you are doing everything right. My one "never break" rule is vacuum any uneaten food before lights out. Discus don't eat in the dark, and that rotting food will have all night to pollute your tank. But it sounds like you've got things right anyway.