PDA

View Full Version : Algae

Dearra
Tue May 16, 2006, 06:22 AM
I am not really sure where I should post this question. My lovely blue pebbles that I have in my tank are turning black. Probably from having the light on for so long. (If I don't have the light on, I can't see my discus because it is so dark.) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them to get the algae off so they can be nice and blue again.

Thanks Dearra

samir
Tue May 16, 2006, 06:48 AM
keep the lights on for less time or maybe use a uv sterilizer. scrub the pebbles :D

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Tue May 16, 2006, 08:29 AM
Hi Dearra
You could also invest in some Bristlenose Catfish. They would love to clean up the algae for you.
How long are you leaving your light on per day?
How much water are you changing every week?
Do you have fast growing plants in your tank?
Heidi

Dearra
Tue May 16, 2006, 12:48 PM
I probably leave the lights on about 10-12 hours per day. I also don't have any live plants in the tank. I did a gravel clean last Thursday and scrubbed everything in the tank to remove the algae. I also put in a new globe. But I noticed last night (Monday) that all the pebbles were going black and the algae is starting to form again on everything. I do a 25% w/c every week, but I was only doing a gravel clean once a month. Should I do more gravel cleans.

duck
Tue May 16, 2006, 12:56 PM
How long has the tank been running for

Phlipper
Tue May 16, 2006, 01:09 PM
Without regular cleaning of tank and gravel, and with the lack of suitable fish or snails or plants you will always have the problem reoccurring, but to reduce the amount of growth cut back the light hours to about 8 hours daily and see how it goes.

Dearra
Wed May 17, 2006, 05:00 AM
Dah! I am so dense. It has just dawned on me why I never had algae problems until now. I used to have stained glass covers on top of the tank. But 6 months ago I bought a new tank with ordinary glass covers. I think that could be why I have my problem, so I will just cut down on the light hours and I will be doing weekly gravel cleans as well.

Dearra

Mulisha
Wed May 17, 2006, 06:16 AM
Hey i have white gravel and i get green alage on them what i do is gravel clean and mix them around then the side with the algae is not under the new fresh looking gravel and becuase the otherside witht he algae on them now has no light will die very soon leaving them new and fresh for the next gravel clean.

HTH :D