PDA

View Full Version : 60 - 55 Gal Filtration

Caldor
Sun May 14, 2006, 10:21 AM
Gday folks. Great forum youve got here and I'm pleased to be learning from the discussions. Ive been into Marine for awhile and following some events Ive decided to have a go at freshwater for a tank Ive got, when setup it will be between 60-55 gal actual volume of water.

I'm trying to decide on the best possible filtration system. I allready have a high quality RO/DI water filter and THD meter so I just need the tank side of things.

Seems you blokes prefer canisters over all else? Including the Emporer 400s power filters? My tank isnt drilled for a sump and I could do without the noise and frankly going freshwater it will be a relief on the wallet not needing calcium reactors, protein skimmers, owaki pumps, refugiums, wave simulators and on and on.

Having a look around I thought the Fluval FX5 may not be overkill if I got a spraybar? As discus dont like currents.

I was looking at the Eheim Professional II Filter 2026, around $aus310, but then I saw the Fluval FX5 for around $330. If I get the Fluval I also have some overhead for a larger tank down the track.

And are UV filters necessary?

Im after a top notch end to end nothing else to get filtration.

Caldor
Sun May 14, 2006, 12:22 PM
So according to EHEIMS specifications they say that tank capacity times 1.75 gives the required flow rate in their canister filters. Thats interesting as elsewhere I am reading you want 5 to 7 times the flowrate in comparison to the tank capacity.

In my case, approx 230l means I want at the higher end 1600lph in flow rate out of the canister filter.

My research has shown that UV filters are not essential but are a good idea for algea and disease control.

Help me out please.

Merrilyn
Sun May 14, 2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Caldor, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us.

For a 230 lt tank, I think you'd find that the Fluvan FX5 is way too strong. I have 4 of these units running, but on 8 foot and ten foot tanks. It wouldn't be easy to attach a spray bar to them, because they have a dual water outlet, and they pump through a heck of a lot of water.

I'd be more inclined to go for the Eheim, with the slower flow rate, and add in an air driven sponge filter if necessary. If you get the water circulating properly around the tank, then the Eheim will certainly be large enough for the job.

We do such a lot of water changes with discus, at least twice a week, if not more, that a huge filter is not necessary.

Discus are sensitive to nitrates, the end product of your bio filtration, and the most efffective way of removing nitrates, is to do a water change.

I'd give serious thought to having a UV on your tank. I have them on all my tanks, and have never had a serious disease outbreak since using them. To my way of thinking, it's just insurance, and a small price to pay compared to the value of your fish.

Hope that helps.

We have lots of knowledgable and friendly people on this forum, so if you need any more information, don't hesitate to ask.

Caldor
Sun May 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Ladyred.

Ok, so if the amount of water circulation is too much with the FX5, I was looking at the Eheim Professionel II Filter 2028 Plus, which with its 1050l/h pump gives 750l/h water circulation.

Anyone know what the installation kit is? Given I think I should use a spraybar, is that another kit?

I have in mind to use a 300w Hydor external heater, as the inbuilt heating eheims are about 2.5 times the cost of the normal ehim + a Hydor heater.

Can anyone recommend a good UV sterilizer? I dont mind doing maintenance but I like reliable gear I dont have to fiddle much with.

Sorry another thought, as I think I would prefer an external UV sterilizer (like to keep gear out of the display) do people use another pump as it appears the products like a slower flow rate for the UV?

taksan
Tue May 16, 2006, 10:07 AM
A 2028 and a Pondmaster 36w UV is what you need.