PDA

View Full Version : whats the name of this discus?

rytis
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:03 AM
i assume its white turq? the one on the left...

mcloughlin2
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:36 AM
Theres no such thing as a white turk.... :wink:

Looks to be a pigeon blood of some sort as it has peppering..

Do you plan on breeding with this fish rytis?

I think it should be a display fish only as it doesnt have very good body shape..... :wink:

rytis
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:40 AM
i love the shpe of this fish, fins are much longer then other fishes, i wish it would find a mate..

shayesmommy
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:55 AM
but isnt that hump on its head mean its been inbreed to much?
Its nice,but if you do breed them you could have problems. Doesnt mean you cant try. :)

mcloughlin2
Sun May 14, 2006, 03:28 AM
It does have nice fins but does not have desired body shape...

Its still a lovely discus regardless but best not to breed it... :D

rytis
Sun May 14, 2006, 04:29 AM
:) i don't know what you experts are talking about, but before and i said it i loved the best the discus in mcloughlin2's avatar, but this one i handpicked at the special discus breeder myself (paid $100USD) and i love it even more, lump is more interesting to me then an ordinary round shape.... the shape of this discus (mine or not) is unique and not to be confused with some sort of degenerate or whatever you mean.....

shayesmommy
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:11 AM
i never said there was anything wrong with him
he is nice.
You cant not like him because of a lump.
i just meant for breeding purpose there might be a chance for problems.
i didnt mean to offend you.
and im far from an expert i was just asking because thats what my book said.
and i say goodluck with him. and i do love his colors.

wickedglass
Sun May 14, 2006, 06:37 AM
I think the name of this discus is "Eric" .... and if not, it should be ;)

samir
Sun May 14, 2006, 07:02 AM
i've seen most of the type classified as golden pigeon blood. maybe you need to worm them(if you havent already) and feed them more,they look a bit stunted to me,but they will fill up if there's not a lot of larger fish with them. it doesn't really matter what shape they are as long as you like them.

DR.V
Sun May 14, 2006, 07:27 AM
I think it's pigeon blood too ^^

G-1000
Sun May 14, 2006, 10:54 AM
That fish is 100% pigeon blood. For sure

I would class it as a striated PB.

G

mcloughlin2
Sun May 14, 2006, 11:15 AM
:) i don't know what you experts are talking about, but before and i said it i loved the best the discus in mcloughlin2's avatar, but this one i handpicked at the special discus breeder myself (paid $100USD) and i love it even more, lump is more interesting to me then an ordinary round shape.... the shape of this discus (mine or not) is unique and not to be confused with some sort of degenerate or whatever you mean.....

If you hand picked it you should have also found out the type of discus it was....A $100 USD is nearly $200 over here so thats alot of money for a discus that isnt show quality...

I hate to say it but this discus shape is not unique...Most asian breeders would cull a discus if its body shape looked like that....Look at most wildcaught discus and you will not find discus that look like that.... I'm sure there are some but discus naturally have a rounded body shape...

Nether the less, its up to you how you prefer your discus to look, but i would not touch any offspring from this discus or any others with similar body shape with a 10 foot pole...

JMHO,

Sam :D

taksan
Sun May 14, 2006, 11:24 AM
I think the name of this discus is "Eric" .... and if not, it should be ;)

Actualy I think thats Eric's brother Adrian or it might even be one of their cousins Michael or James 8-)

Merrilyn
Sun May 14, 2006, 01:48 PM
Rytis, if you love the fish, then that's all that matters.

Our fish should give us pleasure, that's why we keep them, and this fish obviously gives you a lot of pleasure.

The colour is lovely, a pigeon blood of some kind, could well be called a pearl pigeon. There are a huge number of variations in the pigeon blood, and it depends on the breeding farm it came from, as to what they call it.

rytis
Sun May 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
thx lr, the fish is the last fish i bought and exactly what i've been looking for, he had about 10 of the same kind in that tank i chose this the smallest one. and i understand some people may be jealouse of my show quality tank and its inhabitants :D :P

wickedglass
Mon May 15, 2006, 10:01 AM
I still think you should call it Eric ;)

rytis
Mon May 15, 2006, 07:25 PM
the guy at the place where i bought it said it was a crossbreed between a pigeon blood and blue diamond,.. anyway it looks to me like it has strains like turqs, so i assume if one was flat blue, other one must have had lines like turq

bushie
Tue May 16, 2006, 05:30 AM
eric? eric?
you are jokin aren`t ya?
that fish doesn`t look anything like an eric.

thats a "Sid Fishous" if I ever seen one.

goldfish
Tue May 16, 2006, 08:53 AM
its a parrot fish.

mcloughlin2
Tue May 16, 2006, 10:06 AM
its a parrot fish.

:roll:

Darth_discus
Tue May 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
At OAFI they call that a white butterfly i have one my self

Nathan
Tue May 16, 2006, 10:32 AM
im with LR mate if you like the shape and look of your discus then who cares what anyone else reckons, afterall youl be the one looking at them everyday for (hopefully) many years to come. it has quite nice colouration as well IMO

nathan

nicholas76
Tue May 16, 2006, 12:53 PM
As previously stated its another pigeon blood.

The parrot beak although common in some strains can be a good indication of stunting within the fish. And that fish does have a big eye for that body size.

but hey I used to think peppering was nice when I first started ! Love is in the eye of the beholder.

chrissyoscar
Wed May 17, 2006, 07:35 AM
It's a real shame when a nice looking fish becomes a runt.
Runt or not if you are happy with it then that's all that matters.
Nick, I to liked peppering when i first started with discus. I still don't mind it as long as it's minor.

wickedglass
Wed May 17, 2006, 09:09 AM
Eric? .... he's pining for the fjords!

nicholas76
Wed May 17, 2006, 09:12 AM
Eric? .... he's pining for the fjords!

Dont get it ? please explain?

Cliffeh
Wed May 17, 2006, 10:31 AM
It's a Monty Python reference

nicholas76
Wed May 17, 2006, 12:55 PM
LOL

now i need to find the reference

Benny
Thu May 18, 2006, 01:16 AM
hahaha after months of absence its classic to note that rytis still thinks theres a conspiracy against him, coz of jealousy.

Comical

rytis
Wed May 24, 2006, 03:12 AM
I still think you should call it Eric ;)
i like white turq better, he looks like a turq but white...i call bush and austrian dictater (what's his name) eric... :lol:

samir
Wed May 24, 2006, 03:49 AM
same as having a white blue diamond :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: its a pigeon was born a pigeon and will die one

mcloughlin2
Thu May 25, 2006, 06:46 AM
Rofl..
:lol:
Rytis, you cannot simply name a discus the name you choose!
It is a type of pigeon blood...seems to be a cross between a few varietions...
It cannot be named a white turk unless it is completely free of peppering and the peppering gene is no longer in its system..
So that practically means this discus can never be an actual white turk..
However if its breed to a turk and crossing is done with the offspring you may eventually create a " White turk"

Good luck mate with your breeding venture's..

Ps: Any updates on your other pairs?

samir
Thu May 25, 2006, 06:55 AM
Rytis what i'm curious to know is if you paid $100 usd for the "smallest" of the 10. How much were the others going for ???

rytis
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:07 AM
others were 150. i didnt go for the cheapest one: i went for two things: size to match my other ones, i didnt want a giant,,,, and others had more blueish color, i wanted to avoid that, because i have too many blue... this one was more purely white....

bigger fish poop less take up more space etc. im all about healthy tank, not over crowding.

samir
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:38 AM
others were 150. i didnt go for the cheapest one: i went for two things: size to match my other ones, i didnt want a giant,,,, and others had more blueish color, i wanted to avoid that, because i have too many blue... this one was more purely white....

bigger fish poop less take up more space etc. im all about healthy tank, not over crowding.
:roll: (The Rytis returns) Welcome back Rytis LOL

sammigold
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 10:02 AM
Ok guys... I need to put my 2cents in!!.....

Rytis, your fish could not be a white turk simply because the "turk" reference usually used with Blue Turquoise or Red turquoise discus is a reference to the Turquoise colour (blue/green shade of blue) .... therefore logically if your fish is white with orange striations it cannot be from the turquoise strain as it has no Blue in it...

the only way it could be a white turk is if it came from Turkey.. :lol: :lol:

I have a fish almost exactly the same in colouring and I bought him as a pigeon blood strain.. which from what I have gathered is a fish garnered from crossing various "red" strain fish..... HTH...

Bronx19
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 10:25 AM
its a parrot fish.

Im all for being polite, but you need to draw the line at ignorance.

I wonder if Kev sells any. :twisted:

samir
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 11:42 AM
its a parrot fish.

Im all for being polite, but you need to draw the line at ignorance.

I wonder if Kev sells any. :twisted:

I think what goldfish was trying to say was that the lovely bump on rytis' "white turk"(yes sammi they do exist,the same way as my lovely red blue diamonds) reminded him of a parrot cichlid something like the pic. :lol: they do look similar dont they ?? hehehe

Bronx19
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 03:26 AM
I know, my 'ignorace' comment was in regards to the way the owner of the fish was acting.

nicholas76
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 05:16 AM
LOL Samir you have me in stiches..

hmm they do have similar noses

marg
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 05:51 AM
I agree with you nicholas76 - Samir is funny. As soon as I saw that picture I started laughing - brightened up an otherwise dull day!!.

oscar
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 11:31 PM
hahaha after months of absence its classic to note that rytis still thinks theres a conspiracy against him, coz of jealousy.

Comical

I find myself in the same boat...and dumbfounded by it

endless
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:22 AM
Come on guys give him a break.

nicholas76
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
Gday all,

thought I'd throw this one back on track and share some information I obtained from Andrew SOH's book on Discus.

In the deformaties section he makes reference to the "parrot mouth forehead" which best somes up the shape of this fish IMO.

SOH states that its a genetic trait becuase it it is meant for an elongated body shape discus. But due to forced feeding or feeding a high fat diet, the body has expanded vertically and the fatty forehead grows outwards and you end up with this!

...interesting I thought.

samir
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 08:54 AM
in this case i'd pick severely runted. look at the size of the eyes, any larger and Michael Jordan would be dribbling them out of there. seems more like things have sunken in rather than out. looking at pics of the other fish i doubt very much if any kind of fat is involved in the diet. :) the word fat and those fish do not go together.

nicholas76
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 09:10 AM
Samir ,

yep I agree, however I think the damage is done when its pretty young.

In this case you end up with a developing parrot deformitie and you cant do jack to fix it.

Bronx19
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 09:19 AM
I wonder what else the bloke that sold it to him has...

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:41 AM
Okay guys and girls. Let's play nice. All discus are beautiful in their own way :P

rytis
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 01:25 PM
it's ok, they're just jealouse of my fishtank and the fact that my discus do not get sick.... :)

samir
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 01:38 PM
it's ok, they're just jealouse of my fishtank and the fact that my discus do not get sick.... :)
jealouse ??? rytis you even have parasites in your vocabulary lol :lol: :lol:
i do like your tank very much, the way you've done it up. i just wish you would listen to people . they are beautiful fish, but you're obviously doing something wrong for them to look like that so you need to figure out what it is and fix it. you have everyting setup very nicely and you seem to have put in a lot of effort, maybe they have worms ? what are you feeding ?

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
Now Rytis, that means you too. :wink:

rytis
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:36 PM
it's ok, at least we all agree on politics... thats what matters: understanding that governments benefit from terrorism :)

rytis
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:39 PM
jealouse ??? rytis you even have parasites in your vocabulary lol :lol: :lol:
i do like your tank very much, the way you've done it up. i just wish you would listen to people . they are beautiful fish, but you're obviously doing something wrong for them to look like that so you need to figure out what it is and fix it. you have everyting setup very nicely and you seem to have put in a lot of effort, maybe they have worms ? what are you feeding ?
actually i cut down on worms, i switched to flakefood: bought this "total tropical" theyre all into it! besides that, i use mosquito larva, salmon, veal heart,..

nicholas76
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:54 AM
it's ok, at least we all agree on politics... thats what matters: understanding that governments benefit from terrorism :)

Rytis keep your political opinions to yourself please or I'll start removing them for you. Its a friendly discus forum. NOT a political forum. And for the record we all dont agree.

In relation to your fish I simply mentioned a sincere and logical possibility to why it looks they way it does. It may have nothing to do with the way you are taking care of your fish.!

You have simply purchased a discus with various anomolies which are generally frowned upon or overlooked by most discus hobbyists. IMO we all strive to keep a tank full of grand champions and by critiquing one another ( in a fair manner ) we soon learn what is great and what isnt. In this post you didnt exactly ask for our opinions ,,fair enough but it wouldnt be fair if we didnt point out to you ,,,what kind of "anomolies" you had bud.

enjoy be happy and most of all learn from what has been said.

rytis
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 01:40 AM
In this post you didnt exactly ask for our opinions ,,fair enough but it wouldnt be fair if we didnt point out to you ,,,what kind of "anomolies" you had bud.
im not upset about any comments on my fih here btw, and i am only joking when i say things like jealouse and politics.... just joking... im happy with my fish, your opinions are fine, it's all good... nothing is perfect, but im very satisfied with color variation i compelled.... if i do breed them, i will raise several to my best ability trying to make them as giants as possible,

nicholas76
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 01:43 AM
aah well just be careful mate as those jokes can be taken seriously.

mcloughlin2
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 01:44 AM
Thats good to hear mate..

What we are all trying to say here is that the "White turk" should not be breed as it does have deformaties that we try to erase from the discus strain..

However it will still make a nice display fish... :D

rytis
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 04:52 AM
you think deformed fish passes deformity to offspring? i didnt think so, curious to do a test, not saying i want to raise deformed, im just thinking many deformities are not passed on, im not expert in this at all though, so im not arguing...

but then even if that parrot trait is passed on to the young, do you really think if babies are healthy just with a hump, you reallythink it's bad to have a new shape discus in the market? i mean im afraid to insult you guys coz you take things too seriously around here, so dont get angry at my thinkings pls...

samir
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 05:03 AM
look on the bright side Rytis, maybe you can teach them to talk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nicholas76
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 05:10 AM
look on the bright side Rytis, maybe you can teach them to talk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO Samir you should be doing stand up.

Rytis in relation to your question about it being passed on .......... yes the majority of offspring will have the crappy shape, its genetics.

bud you can breed what you like :) its your right to do what you want. :D

By spawning discus you are trying basically to improve the strain. However mate if you like this guy so much we wish you all the best in your ventures. 8-)

mcloughlin2
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 06:45 AM
I've tried to forgive your ignorance rytis but mate, cum'n :roll:

Why would you want to change an already beautiful fish into something that in mine, and most other peoples opinion is ugly...

That fish should have been culled when it was a few weeks old, it has stunted growth, and a messed up body shape, totally unsuitable for breeding to improve the discus strain...

JMHO

goldenpigeon
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 06:55 AM
ok well if you started breeding the "parrot strain" rytis no one would buy them from you to start with unless the buyers dont have much knowledge about what to look for in a discus.

have a look at the "wild" discus.... does it have a parrot head? does is have an oval shaped body? NO it doesnt. therefore breeders try to keep their stock looking as a discus should without parrot head deformities etc.

rytis
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 09:43 AM
ok, i hear you...

if he pairs up, i let him breed and raise 1-2 babies to experiment, not that i care if he breeds or not, i already have 2 beautiful shaped pairs...

samir
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
how about some pics of the beautiful pairs, and the "black" i cant wait to see the black :lol:

rytis
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
how about some pics of the beautiful pairs, and the "black" i cant wait to see the black :lol:
well shes not black anymore, i will take some later of the blue diamond vs. former black snakeskin... here's my regularly spawning pair...

rytis
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 12:15 PM
ok this is from yesterday or so, will try to get better pic. ironically this pair is always glued together but as soon as they see me, they run... former black is on left (bad angle)

it's because they have a heavily planted 125g tank all to themselves (they take advantage and hide, i personaly am sure it's just the game they play, because i remember how when i removed a huge plant in my 265g, all of a sudden all discus stopped being spooky, because there was much less places to hide...)

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 12:27 PM
You have some lovely fish there Rytis. The shape is beautiful :P

rytis
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
thanx! you should see the female on left (bad angle, very spooky in this tank...but always very happy when i sneak up...)

rytis
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 03:58 PM
heres a better pic i just managed to take, before she swam away...

samir
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
nice fish Rytis. :)

rytis
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 04:54 PM
thanx :)

sammigold
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:51 AM
Those fish are looking very lovely Rytis...

In regard to your "white turk"... I think it is wonderful that you love it so much, it means that he/she will have a loving home forever... :-)

rytis
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 03:18 PM
thanx

dcarmau
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
Your "White Turk" - I adore the colourings!

Tell me, does it have a black edging around its finnage? My "Local" (within Launceston,TAS) breeder has something similar called a "Blue Ghost"... maybe I'm way off, but the fish look very similar.

And those "Blacks"! mmmm I love them too!
yes folks, I'm a newbie too...

marg
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:42 AM
Rytis,

Your fish are lovely, especially the pair in the top picture - beautiful shape and colouring!!.

I agree with Sammi's thoughts regarding your " White Turk" - the fact that you love him ensures he will have a happy life with someone who really cares for him.

I myself had a little Turk that had a deformed Fin that I couldn't part with for the world and I was really upset when he/she passed on, and still miss heaps.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that every breeder strives to breed the perfect specimen, and therefore they pick out the two best shaped and coloured ones they have in the hopes that the offspring will be an improvement on what they already have. (that's not to say that those Fish have a bad speciment in their forefathers and the whole spawm could turn out crappy), however if you start out with something that is not a really good example, chances are that their offspring won't turn out too good and will be hard to sell, and no-one wants a spawn of 100 or so Fish that they can't sell - it can be hard selling a good spawn sometimes depending on your location of course.

Love your Fish :D .

Marg.